3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a super nice 60k 2000 gs. Was fixing order a few parts for car till i got to checking it out car already has some zzp mods found some recepts in folder from zzp. Called them stuff that was ordered from zzp was front and rear power logs 2.5 downpipe plugs thermostat colder plugs ecm [email protected] filter for factory box Was going to order a pulley but guy told me there to do the cat back xhaust first before pully. Run car hard today its 5.5 to 6.0 in first. In higher gear was like 6.5 to 7.0 on sc factory guage Car runs perfect and smooth iv owned a few gs cars over the years this one seems like its lost little torque in bottom to me cars pulls hard and keeps pulling and pulling but seems little slow on bottom was going to order cat back from zz but there 3 inch is 600 bucks. Should i just do good hi flow muffler? Then try pully after? Was looking at rear manifold few minutes ago i dont think they ever installed rear log by looking at it under hood ill jack up and look under to see in next day or so. Whats anyone think? I havnt got anything to tune with yet pretty good tuner here beeen doing the turbo buick. Thing for 20 plus years just going to make this old car daily driver

·
Super Moderator
417 Posts
Umm... I'll jump on this grenade and try unpacking that post...

It's making a good boost level for something flowing without much restriction. You should take a good look at what it has, make a plan for how much you want to do/spend, and that'll tell you how to go.

A bulleted list of mods and scan data on how it's running will be the best thing for you.

Ex: (confirm, not by word-of-mouth/dropped receipts)
  • front plog
  • downpipe
  • ____ plugs gapped @ 0.0xx"
...and so on

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked it all out front log, 2.5 downpipe, ngk tr6 plugs gapped at 55, [email protected] n filter, 180 thermo, zzp ecm, car has stock catback, guess thats next, but cant find any catback systems but zzp 3 inch its CV pricy as hell, then have to getvsomething totune with

·
Super Moderator
417 Posts
Ya, I have that ZZP 3" on mine, but the turbo keeps it fairly mild. I know it gets a loud with a s/c setup, but having manifolds instead of headers, a cat of some sort, and a resonator can help keep it less awful.

If there's a stainless 2.5" one out there to better match your current setup, that might be better for you, but not sure if Magnaflow, Stainless Works, Borla, etc. make any single-exit ones.

·
Super Moderator
417 Posts
All I see with a quick Google is this stainless stock replacement for ~$200...
https://www.upsw.com/2004-buick-regal-gs-38l-stainless-steel-resonator-pipe-muffler-exhaust-system-kit/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA48j9BRC-ARIsAMQu3WR6sHvPeCQ60J4lSWwiKSEnxcDVIrwWckY5V_gPTFjj5BsuXiNzrcsaAspHEALw_wcB

They also sell the resonator/pipes-only for $99, and you could do a nice Borla miffler and tips of your choice. Looks like 400 series SS, so similar to stock/SLP material. The diameter tapers from 2.25 to 2" as it gets to the back, which is about right for a stock-ish setup in these cars, although slightly more would be a bit better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seen that cat back on eBay was just trying to do it all at least 2 1/2. You can get the resanators still from zzp guess only option i have is there resanotor and go to exhaust shop and finish on from res back with 2 1/2 It’s just not mandrel bent

·
Super Moderator
417 Posts
Ya, other option is to buy DIY stainless bends for a shop, but you need to make sure they use stainless filler/wire, or it's still got rust potential at the joints.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Played with car all day yesterday. Car has front log , [email protected] , zz1 2.5 downpipe , 180 thermostat, ngk tr6 gapped at 55 car has stock xhaust from downpipe back, I’m fixing to finish exhaust from downpipe Back With the 2,5 , zzp wants 600 plus for there 3 inch , Is it worth taking 2.5 downpipe off changing it with 3? Pretty much not going to do anything else to car but maybe the pully, soon as get some kind of scan tool.

·
Super Moderator
417 Posts
It's probably not worth spending nearly $1K on exhaust, if you're not going to go nuts on modding the car. I'd shop around for potential stainless catback parts, but not in any rush, if it's running good.

You can get an ELM Bluetooth OBDII scanner for $12-15 to have a basic ability to scan with your phone. It'll give a general idea of any knock causing timing to be retarded under throttle, etc.

·
Super Moderator
417 Posts
Nope, you missed the peak of activity in this market by about 15 years. It was a riot back then, but now everyone left tinkering on 3800's is scattered between keeping the candle burning on a few forums and random FB stuff. I haven't ventured there, but I haven't heard many good things from experienced folks watching those groups.

Unless there's a revival in this market due to increased interest, you are limited to the few sources for parts still out there. The younger drivers picking these cars up for cheap now aren't spending enough years with them to build much of the aftermarket back that we built as young drivers fueling the innovation back in the early 2000's. It's understandable due to changing economics and such, but that's how you get a company to invest in selling nice parts, or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts