3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is only one gasket part number. So the rear head gasket has the arrow pointing to the front of the engine, but the front gasket will have the arrow pointing to the tranny? I know I can't flip the gasket but WTF???? What am I suppose to do?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Or is it one # for the set of 2 gaskets...?

·
Registered
92 Posts
just make sure the arrow points towards the front of the engine. Each side is the same gasket. Why can you not flip it over? that is what you have to do just make sure arrow points in correct position.

·
Registered
174 Posts
blackZ34 said:
Or is it one # for the set of 2 gaskets...?

the felpro part number is for a gasket, have to buy two of them, and as stated make sure the arrows point towards the pulleys on the motor

·
Registered
116 Posts
gtpcookie said:
:rolleyes: and what happens if you point them the wrong way? :confused: :confused:
When in drive, your car will backup :rolleyes: !!!

Seriously, maybe some coolant passage will be blocked?

·
Registered
174 Posts
gtpcookie said:
:rolleyes: and what happens if you point them the wrong way? :confused: :confused:

coolant passages will be blocked, cause coolant to go places it shouldnt, you will know as soon as the car is started if they are on right or not

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
coolant passages will be blocked, cause coolant to go places it shouldnt, you will know as soon as the car is started if they are on right or not
Not true. if you look at the gasket they are the same except for the two coolant passages in the bottom of the gasket. These are metering holes to control the flow of coolant. They do not "block" coolant.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Arrows Point Forward, and sometimes on one gasket the arrow is followed by an L that will mean Left side of engine in our case, thats the front of the engine.

Sometimes Felpro can screw up and give you wrong gaskets intheir boxes...after all its a USA based company with their product made in China.

I hard you got it running...so I guess just keep an eye on things.

Heathers GTP has a leaking rear head gasket now...so I cant wait to do that job for her. Seems like I just got done replacing her PS pump, belt tenn. pullies, and belts from that one pulley breaking. Her car has become quite the money pit since she has bought it, and she hasnt done anything to the engine yet (modding)...except break **** every month.

Sad thing is I am working on her car more than mine.

Let me know if you need anything man.
~Farnsworth~

·
Registered
92 Posts
the head gaskets are exactly the same. only differance is to the way they point is coolant passage holes in the rear are larger than the front so it restricts the front passages more than the rear. other than that they will align and fit fine eaither way but I would suggest keeping the arrows pointing towards the pulleys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah im sorry i asked that question, i was a dumbass and wasnt paying attention and put the arrow facing opposite of the pulleys and blew a head gasket less than a week later

i also kept running out of coolant and i couldnt find a leak; no wonder where it was all going :eek:

--- so anyways it gets better; 2days after i replaced the head gasket and changed the oil like 2-3 times, i was cruising doing about 75mph on the highway i hear BOOM and smoke starts flying from under the hood and from the exhaust, i pull over to find half of one of my connecting rods on the ground and a FIRE in the rear of the engine bay--- i guess the connecting rod blew through the oil pan and sprayed oil onto my headers which started the fire--- now is that a coincidence hmmmmm?

so thats where iam now :mad: :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts