3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The question of the day to start my avalanche,,,,,,,,,,

If I had a faulty Knock Sensor, what sort of Engine and PCM behaviour may I be experiencing, also, what about sound....... I've never had a lot of serious trouble with the car, so my experience lacks in being able to pick up on pings, knocks rattles etc. LOL.

The reason for the question, is this:

From time to time the last month, and just about every time I squeezed into'er (under load), I could hear a very loud and distinct "rattling" sound. Ok, Ok,,,, I know, the whole sound description here just isn't working, but the best way I could describe it would be like putting a playing card on the fork of a 10 speed bike with a clothes pin and spinning the wheel about twice as fast as it would normally spin...... :p I also sounds metalic..... Sorry, that's the best I can do. I understand sounds travels to very weird places in unimaginable ways, but it sounded like it was in the rear, or drivers side of the engine compartment.. I automatically feared detonation, hence my question about the faulty knock sensor ("faulty" because the problem/sound is intermittant)

So naturally, the fear of god is in me now with the phantom sound.

Also, I shut the car off for about 20 minutes, went out, started it up again and away I went with no problems at all. The sound was occuring between 50-80% throttle (according to my foot position). ;)

Any help or ideas would be AMAZING! Tks.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You have all those mods and you do not have any type of scanning tools? :(

STOP MODDING YORU CAR AND INVEST IN ONE!

If you want to scan and log your info, you will need an AutoTap or HPTuners or DHP PowerTuner

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Merc said:
You have all those mods and you do not have any type of scanning tools? :(
nope......

Merc said:
STOP MODDING YORU CAR AND INVEST IN ONE!
I PLAN ON IT!!!!!!

Merc said:
if you want to scan and log your info, you will need an AutoTap or HPTuners or DHP PowerTuner
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
merc, you forgot the LS1M

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
yes you are right. i fogot about that one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2000Falcon said:
The question of the day to start my avalanche,,,,,,,,,,

If I had a faulty Knock Sensor, what sort of Engine and PCM behaviour may I be experiencing, also, what about sound....... I've never had a lot of serious trouble with the car, so my experience lacks in being able to pick up on pings, knocks rattles etc. LOL.

The reason for the question, is this:

From time to time the last month, and just about every time I squeezed into'er (under load), I could hear a very loud and distinct "rattling" sound. Ok, Ok,,,, I know, the whole sound description here just isn't working, but the best way I could describe it would be like putting a playing card on the fork of a 10 speed bike with a clothes pin and spinning the wheel about twice as fast as it would normally spin...... :p I also sounds metalic..... Sorry, that's the best I can do. I understand sounds travels to very weird places in unimaginable ways, but it sounded like it was in the rear, or drivers side of the engine compartment.. I automatically feared detonation, hence my question about the faulty knock sensor ("faulty" because the problem/sound is intermittant)

So naturally, the fear of god is in me now with the phantom sound.

Also, I shut the car off for about 20 minutes, went out, started it up again and away I went with no problems at all. The sound was occuring between 50-80% throttle (according to my foot position). ;)

Any help or ideas would be AMAZING! Tks.
Hello!

I have an aussi VS COMMODORE v6 l67 and have EXACTLY the same problem that you are having. Mine just started happening after i had my water pump replaced. I am unsure weather it is just a coincidence. Mine does not seem to hinder performance, however i cant really tell, because it as a nasty noise and i take my foot off the gas. Please let me know if you find anything out about your noise and ill let you know if i find something.

Cheers!~!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Josh Super6 Aussie said:
Hello!

I have an aussi VS COMMODORE v6 l67 and have EXACTLY the same problem that you are having. Mine just started happening after i had my water pump replaced. I am unsure weather it is just a coincidence. Mine does not seem to hinder performance, however i cant really tell, because it as a nasty noise and i take my foot off the gas. Please let me know if you find anything out about your noise and ill let you know if i find something.

Cheers!~!

I am just getting the car out of storage this week, and will be scanning it the same day to see what I can find.. Hopefully nothing. We'll see what sort of tales the info will tell. I'll be sure to keep you posted on this, as it looks we're sort of on our own.. LOL..

RC :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Perhaps a heat-shield on the cat??

Just an idea.. only "playing card on spokes sound" that I can think of that occurs around 50-80% throttle and while letting off.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ThePizzaGTP said:
Perhaps a heat-shield on the cat??

Just an idea.. only "playing card on spokes sound" that I can think of that occurs around 50-80% throttle and while letting off.
Yeah, that's almost what it sounds like. Thanks. I'm just trying to work my way around the HP Tuners Suite, and got a scan today. I think I may have a ball of worms to fish out. :mad: You'd think if it was something mechanical such as a heat shield, it would happen consistently, but it doesn't.

When I looked at the DTC history with the HP Tuners, I found the following, even though they had never set the SES lt.

P0327 - Knock Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (OLD) (Immature)
P0332 - Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank 2) (OLD) (Immature)

I'll keep fishing.. Thanks again :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts