3800Pro Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Read your car's with DHP. That should be the only file you care about saving and writing. Not sure what's getting lost in translation.
I tried that. As mentioned, DHP says my Camaro ECM is an unsupported file type when I read it. If I continue anyway and save it, it becomes a goofy locked file. If I plug in the Century ECM and try to write the Camaro file into it I get this.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Computer Operating system

This is why I was trying to trick HP into thinking my Century ECM was the Camaro's. I'm starting to think that isn't possible with the tools I have.

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
I think you should make sure you do the DB update. I am busy preparing to put my GXP engine/trans back in right now, or I'd search for the details in old forum posts (either here,a GrandAm or GPF archived discussion should have folks chatting about it ~10yrs ago or so).

If you start a fresh topic on this once you figure it out, I will try to contribute as I dust off my DHP (been wanting to so I save on credit costs since getting HPT).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've successfully made this worse. o_O
I did some poking around and got some hints. Unfortunately, I screwed something up good in the process and I have no idea what. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling DHP, which at first seemed to fix something because I actually have a DHP Icon instead of a generic one now. I also installed MDAC 2.8 as suggested in the instructions. Not sure if this did anything or not. Still, this happens every time I try to open the program now. It closes whenever I click OK.
Photograph Light Product Font Screenshot

When I download the database update, am I supposed to save it to my DigitalHorsepower folder (replacing the old database) and run the DHP registration entries? That's what it looks like, but directions are kind of unclear. I'm going to try deleting and reinstalling everything again.

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
I hit that wall last year, too. I forget what the fix was, but I don't know where it's listed. I think uninstalling doesn't fully delete all the files, but if you get things figured out, let us know. If not, I can try helping by mirroring the effort later this week, possibly.

Reactions: Quick86

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I started all over on my other laptop. I thought I had removed everything and reinstalled it on the machine I was using before, but it kept giving me the same error. When everything was up and going on the Windows11 machine, I was able to do a full read without unsupported file non-sense (furthest I've gotten so far). Unfortunately, I can only do this on with the Century PCM though which I know is a worthless operation. The Camaro is still "unsupported" so I can only save an encrypted bin file.

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
There's a way to look under the hood of DHP to see which OSID's are supported (there's multiple per model, and you might have an oddball they didn't catch). I'm up until 2am after popping my engine/trans back into the GXP. If you aren't in a rush on that spare PCM, I'll be a bit less busy in a month or so after moving cross-country.

If you have HPT license for your model Camaro, you can also snag a cheap PCM from one that matches your target combo (hardware # and vehicle model, etc.). Just do some casual shopping on a few sites to see what's available (eBay, car-part, local yards, etc.) when you're bored.

·
Registered
844 Posts
ive only ever done this the opposite way...people have DHP and buy HPT for the logging/histogram etc. so we flash the PCM witht he most mapped bin file in dhp/tiny and then register HPT to that file.

the file read your doing is being saved into a format that lets DHP map the bin and then send it back to you as a .bin....as ive had to do with 2 seperate DHP units back in the day when charles was still running it.

so that OS is not in the extracted DHP OS list (a collection of mapped bins for allt he years/models mapped, some bins is earlier DB's had errors iirc

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
There's a way to look under the hood of DHP to see which OSID's are supported (there's multiple per model, and you might have an oddball they didn't catch). I'm up until 2am after popping my engine/trans back into the GXP. If you aren't in a rush on that spare PCM, I'll be a bit less busy in a month or so after moving cross-country.

If you have HPT license for your model Camaro, you can also snag a cheap PCM from one that matches your target combo (hardware # and vehicle model, etc.). Just do some casual shopping on a few sites to see what's available (eBay, car-part, local yards, etc.) when you're bored.
Is this what that list should look like?
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

If so, my OSID is not listed. :cry:

I'm in no rush. I'm just motivated and determined to figure it out. I'm supposed to get some more exhaust and suspension parts at the end of the week, so I'll probably be ready to hang this up for a month when that arrives.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
ive only ever done this the opposite way...people have DHP and buy HPT for the logging/histogram etc. so we flash the PCM witht he most mapped bin file in dhp/tiny and then register HPT to that file.

the file read your doing is being saved into a format that lets DHP map the bin and then send it back to you as a .bin....as ive had to do with 2 seperate DHP units back in the day when charles was still running it.

so that OS is not in the extracted DHP OS list (a collection of mapped bins for allt he years/models mapped, some bins is earlier DB's had errors iirc
This is sad news. Although I really wish Brian could tell me how he got in there, I understand that he wants to keep his business going too. Somehow he made changes outside of HPT, I just don't where he found the magic sauce. lol

Where would you go from here? Do I need to just keep trucking with my bastard hardware? Can I try to find a 7440 that's actually made for a Camaro and write the full HPT file to it?

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
He most likely has the expensive shop version that permits more access.

There's a few options, I just don't have time to sit and hash it out, yet, to suggest the cheapest/fastest options for getting you squared.

Reactions: Quick86

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
He most likely has the expensive shop version that permits more access.

There's a few options, I just don't have time to sit and hash it out, yet, to suggest the cheapest/fastest options for getting you squared.
Ahhh see I didn't know that was ever an option for DHP. That's frustrating but satisfying. I'm glad there's at least a solid explanation.

I put all the tuning stuff away for now. By the time I'm ready to play with it again, you might be too.

·
Administrator
1,402 Posts
I meant for HPT. The DHP database update was the shop version equivalent for that old setup.

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. Stock and rust free. Totaled @ 87K miles
126 Posts
The Tiny Tuner may have more current OSIDs mapped out.
The Tiny Tuner (theblattners.com)
Download the application and the OSID database update. Read the PCM with DHP, then open the file with TinyTuner and see if you can view and edit. Then, save and re-upload with DHP.
==
I checked the tinytuner database and I didn't see your Camaro's OSID in there...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
I've stumbled across this trying to figure out my false KR, the other day I got KR after turning off the car and I am also seeing maf freq outside the table. In short I would like to see a link to the Suspect bad PCM's part numbers. Please reply with that so anyone who comes across your post can reference it. thank you

·
Registered
844 Posts
MAF frequency output on maf sensors can readily go over the 11.500hz of the PCM tables....that is not a pcm issue, its getting an AFC frewq scalaer that will keep the maf scaled to bellow 11500hz which the PCM will not recognize any reading over that limit.....the V8 pcm's use the same maf's but the PCM can read well over the 11.5khz freq our pcm's are limited to by their software/hardware.

so that is not a pcm issue if your reading over 11.5khz....your either moving alot of air (and need to scale it down) or you have a maf malfunction/dirty sensor filaments

stay away from down level trim/option cars and youll likely never see the (defective) pcm's

the two ive dealt with were so. the 02 GT HDWR number matched with a buncha down level vehicles (base monte's imps)

every SC/luxury car ive come across (BCM equipped cars etc) has been the 7440.

my guess is that the 7440 units are grade 1 production units with no defects....beyond that units with bad circuits/defects etc get shunted to a down model line

much like how only the grade a batteries get the durracel/energizer packaging...where the defects are labeled for wall mart/etc

they are still usable/sellable...but they aint top o tha line.

so for a late97 to 02.5 PCM, your best option is to look for the 7440

having someone you know do a pcm read with a DHP and flash a 7440 with it and swap it in and retesting is the only way to determine if the OEM PCM knock system is defective/etc.

Regards, James

·
Registered
3 Posts
James

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to know more about the suspect hardware numbers and to avoid jacking this discussion I'll start my own tread asking for Tuning help. I do have a number of PCM's and three are 2610 one is 440.

in 2009 or 2010 I purchased Jet DST and have one license left. I'll need to check Ed's old GTP for the two PCM's he programmed. One is a 440 hopefully its the matching VIN to that car.

I do have a different perspective concerning part quality because I worked for two different manufacturers. We could discuss probability of acceptable failure rates along with lot sampling. There is also an issue of obsolesce which concerns me about my 1st GTP nicknamed Patches.

In the next day or two I'll create a new tread so I can write an essay about patches and maybe get some insight on the KR.

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
James

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to know more about the suspect hardware numbers and to avoid jacking this discussion I'll start my own tread asking for Tuning help. I do have a number of PCM's and three are 2610 one is 440.

in 2009 or 2010 I purchased Jet DST and have one license left. I'll need to check Ed's old GTP for the two PCM's he programmed. One is a 440 hopefully its the matching VIN to that car.

I do have a different perspective concerning part quality because I worked for two different manufacturers. We could discuss probability of acceptable failure rates along with lot sampling. There is also an issue of obsolesce which concerns me about my 1st GTP nicknamed Patches.

In the next day or two I'll create a new tread so I can write an essay about patches and maybe get some insight on the KR.

Scott
My PCM did become problematic. Swapping the PCM I was able to use 3.4 pulley on. after a couple successful drives and have logged real KR of 1-2.5 degrees. I guess the 3.6 was

The questionable PCM now has multiple issues. It started as a can tune with odm driver D test failures.

So I also will state false KR can be caused by the PCM. I do still think PCMs rarely fail however it turned twenty and manufacturing is by no means perfect.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts