3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a 2002 Camaro with a turbo dyno tuned by Dyno Brian. The session was overall a success, but not without limits. Brian advised me on a few things I could consider upgrading, so that I could come back and tack on a couple hundred extra HP!

That was in the summer of 2020. Quite frankly, I've done almost none of the things that Brian advised me on because I've blown two T5s and upgraded to a TKX since then. 馃槄 Anyway, one thing that wigs me out a lot more than it should is my lack of knock control. I'm on E85 with an A2A intercooler, and only making 330whp, but Brian had to tune out the knock sensors due to seeing KR at almost any load. It made no sense, so we caulked it up as false.

After bringing this information back to another forum, I was informed that many of the NA specific 3800 cars (F-bodies, LeSabres, Luminas, ect.) got an ECM with inferior hardware that's not very "turbo friendly". After checking my HDW #, I saw that mine fell onto that list. Apparently the HDW #s that end in 7440 are the ones to get, so I just bought a really cheap one on ebay and started finally setting up the DHP software on my old laptop. What a pain that was to figure out!
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Font Gas Screw Rectangle Metal

My understanding is that the old DHP stuff is a lot friendlier to us in terms of accessibility, but last night was the first time I'd ever even seen it for myself. Is it true that I can plug this new ECM into my bench harness, change the VIN, load the full tune from my old ECM to the new one, and start using HP again like nothing ever happened? It sure would be nice to just swap the tune TO THE SAME CAR without paying HPtuners another $100 for credits. Thanks.

Let's also hope that this is all I need to solve my problem!

Administrator
Yes. DHP was meant to be unresrticted in the final 2006-ish update to v23f (24). You can reprogram any pcm that works for that application (there's some limits), and tell it to be a different OSID (car model) with VIN of choice (123ABC or an actual one). To make HPT happy, it needs to see the same thing it's always looking for based on your license. I haven't dialed in my spare pcm on the desk, yet, but it's the same thing.

Reactions: Quick86

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang. I tried registering my DHP, but I can't get it to communicate with my hardware.
Photograph Light Product Font Screenshot

Photograph Light Product Screenshot Font

The little USB adapter has a flashing green light and the PI has a flashing red light. Does that mean it's on or is it angry at me?
Computer Personal computer Table Corded phone Telephone

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google was my friend. A little driver installer pop-up told me that it was looking for drivers to allow this thing to work so I googled the USB to RS232 adapter. The driver downloads are here.

Blue Azure Rectangle Screenshot Font

After my Windows7 driver was installed I reopened DHP, selected COM 4 (as it suggests in my installation window /\), and DHP was registered successfully.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On to the next issue. lol
Computer Photograph Personal computer Rectangle Font

That sucks. Does this mean that I'm SOL? I pressed continue.

Once it was done reading, I got this message.
Computer Rectangle Personal computer Screenshot Font

I better not have programmed anything.... :oops:

Administrator
That's the standard display after reading or writing (lots left to be desired when DHP cut bait, despite being more open environment, although limited to our specific PCM's the way it was offered).

You may not be able to read that PCM file from your spare, unless you have the DB update installed and it was from one of the many models included (most pre-CAN GM V6 OBD2 cars 96-04).

It's been a year or so since I've fired mine up, be feel free to share your adventures. I will probably rebuild my Win7 laptop (HD died), so I don't have to keep fighting my Win10 laptop to work without jumping thru hoops to sustain ancient software.

Registered
i remember when i first figured out that some "QA reject" pcm's from oddball models caused false knock.

first thing i do nowadays is ask what hdwr number pcm people have.

near as i can figure is that the oddball HDWR numbers are QC rejects with bad circuits/etc that get shunted down another assembly line for low option models.

Administrator
James! Glad you stopped by. Moving back to the Midwest this year, so I'll have to try bumping into you guys, finally.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got my new ECM in the mail. I played around for a couple more hours and got nowhere. I get the same "IMPORTANT!!" message when I try to read the 7440. I have the database update downloaded, but I am not sure how to apply it to DHP. Any ideas?

I found out that this ECM is actually from a 2000 Century which I suppose is fine as long as the OS can be changed.

Administrator
Just try a full overwrite. No real need for that old Century file.

For the DB update, I believe you copy the current .dbf file into a spare folder, and paste the updated one into the DHP folder to overwrite it. I'd have to look into the old forums (I think a targeted Google hunt may find it).

Administrator
Send it. YOLO

Edit: I'd upload the exact file on your PCM in-use now (read it with DHP to get a .bin file), so the OSID matches, and everything. Plus, it immediately becomes a back-up, rather than another stocker that still needs another change to run the car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Send it. YOLO

Edit: I'd upload the exact file on your PCM in-use now (read it with DHP to get a .bin file), so the OSID matches, and everything. Plus, it immediately becomes a back-up, rather than another stocker that still needs another change to run the car.
I haven't yet figured out how to get the OSID. Is that the same as "Block 0A ID #"?

Administrator
Ya, I think that's it... one I know for 2000 Camaro M5's was 09384028, but each model got a few over the production run as they'd tweak minor things we don't usually care about.

The use of the EXACT file from your currently running PCM means you reduce the chance for HPT to get huffy about it. Copy file from car using DHP for bin, write to spare PCM with DHP, see what HPT says on spare. Don't use "Larry's random Camaro file" or care about a junk Century file that came on it.

Administrator
Read your car's with DHP. That should be the only file you care about saving and writing. Not sure what's getting lost in translation.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts