3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my engine blew in my 2000 gtp and i am going to swap it out with a low mileage engine. I found several at salvage yards around new york. 1 of them being a 3800 supercharged complete with excesories ouit of a 97 park ave and i am wondering if it will work in my gtp.... If so are there any dis-advantages too this one over mine... and will all the accesories line up because it has a lot less mileage than mine and i would like to use the ones out of the park ave. I have heard that some of the 97 and previous have had problems with heads cracking. soo if there is anyone who nows let me know.

·
Registered
979 Posts
yes i believe 98 and 97 are more prone to cracking because the way the coolant passages were made

·
Registered
76 Posts
Contact Morads Parts Company. They will take care of you for a great price also

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
The engine should work fine. You will want to swap the rear exhaust manifold if yours are stock, and all the accessory brackets. Also check the oil filter adapter, there are a few different versions to either stick out further, under the edge of the pan or under the pan entirely.

Beyond an exhaust manifold and a few brackets..it's the same motor underneath.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello guys i have a simple and i hope and easy to answer question. will a 05 3800 bolt up to a 98 3800 tranny?

·
Registered
2 Posts
the reason im asking is because my 98 3800's block is missing the entire left side, which really sucks cause the car only had 85k miles on the motor it had been parked for 10-15 yrs before i bought it. and im guessing a bearing spun while i was driving down the interstate and blamo. but i have found a replacement 3800 in a local junk yard for less than 200 buck with low miles and around 145 psi on each hole but its a 05 and idk if the bolt patteren is the same

·
Super Moderator
489 Posts
Yes, I ran a 2006 3800 in my 1998 GTP for 10yrs. The only differences are a few electronics on the top that you can transfer from your original. All Series 2&3's are easily interchangeable with minimal tweaks (unlike previous model 3.8's). 2004-05 Series 2's are actually Series 3's with the same engine under their intake manifolds.

• use your coolant temp sensor under the thermostat (if connector is different)
  • route EVAP harness/vac line to Series 3 solenoid behind throttle body
  • adapt 2000-2005 Northstar 75mm throttle body for simple upgrade that uses larger inlet on aluminum plenum (HV3 from ZZP is a nice upgrade while there upgrading Lower Intake gaskets for life)
  • route PCV port to TB (port that flows just ahead of throttle blade, but behind MAF sensor)
  • use as much that comes undamaged with the fresh engine as possible (cam/crank sensors, knock sensors, MAP sensor, ignition coil and module, etc.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts