3800Pro Forums banner

Engine Noise: under load

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  roudy 
#1 ·
I have what i can only desccribe as some sort of growl coming from the engine compartments of my 2000 GTP. It happen shile accelerating heavily. In order to try to narrow down the possibilities. It kind of sounds like one of the pulleys is vibrating but I none of them seem loose. I can make the sound happen by putting the car in drive and applying the brakes and gas at the same time. It starts right around 2000 rpm. Im going home next weekend to try to track it down further. Just wondering if anyone else has ideas or have run into this niose before. Thanks

#2 ·
Might want to check out your serpentine belt, or tensioner. Belt slippage can cause a growl. Remedy? Remove your belt and inspect. Replace if necessary (recommended if not new or worn). Wipe down ALL pulley grooves with alcohol to make certain they are clean. Re-install. Bad tensioner will not keep proper tension to belt and will aggravate this issue. Replace if necessary. Problem fixed!

#4 ·
I hope its that easy, But I already checked that and they seemed tight and clean. I recently replaced my front sway bar (it was broke) and now there is only about a 1/4 inch between my sway bar and the exhaust. I also noticed it the day after i put the sway bar in. Im thinking that under load the motor twists and hits the new sway bar causing the engine vibration to transfer to the bar and cause the "growl". So either my motor mounts are shot (likely) or I manage to put the sway bar in backwards which I matched the old one before I put the new one in so thats unlikely. Ill either prove my hopothisis this weekend or take off the belts and do some pulley cleaning. Ill post the results. Thanks

#6 ·
I recently replaced my front sway bar (it was broke) and now there is only about a 1/4 inch between my sway bar and the exhaust. I also noticed it the day after i put the sway bar in. Im thinking that under load the motor twists and hits the new sway bar causing the engine vibration to transfer to the bar and cause the "growl". So either my motor mounts are shot (likely) or I manage to put the sway bar in backwards which I matched the old one before I put the new one in so thats unlikely.
......the culprit;)

#5 ·
I am having the exact same problem. I initially thought it was the exhaust coming into contact with the sway bar which i haven't checked on yet so it still could be. However, I am now wondering if it has something to do with the transmission after disabling torque management. It only happens under load when the powertrain is pulling the weight of the car. For example, I can floor it and the noise will start and continue until the thrust remains...but once the car is up to speed and there is less load it goes away. So long story short it doesn't alway occur at a certain rpm range. I could be doing 120mph in 4th gear floored and not get the sound because the car is already moving so in that situation there isn't much load/weight to pull because the car is already moving. But from a dead stop it will happen all day long.

#7 ·
Great thanks for the info. I think I have it nailed down to either the swaybar/exhaust combo or the CV joints in the axles. Either way it's not the trans which was a huge concern.

#8 ·
Sway bar

Well I finally got some one to make the car make the niose while i was outside the car. sure enough the exhaust manifold is barely touching the sway bar. I know i put the sway bar in right so its got to be bad motor mounts. Which sucks because Im pretty sure thats a hell of a job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.