3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was raining one night while I was driving home on the freeway. The car seemed to be intermitantly having power and then not. Then all of a sudden the car shut off and I pulled to the side of the road. I stopped, waited a few seconds, and started it right up. Then as I was driving down the road right after that happened and my tach went to 0 RPM and my "TCS Off" light went on and I couldn't turn the TCS back on. The car still had power, drove normally and everything else worked. I got off on the next exit, shut the car off, turned it back on and my tach worked again and my TCS worked.

Then, yesterday in the rain again my tach dropped to 0 and my "TCS Off" light went on. Drove all the way home with no other problems with the car and it was fine.

What is happening??? I'm assuming something is getting wet because it only happens in the rain.

Nick

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'd like to know this too. My TCS off light has been on for 2 years now, with every inch of my wiring checked, and I've never found the problem. My tach works fine though. Just like yours it started intermiitantly in the rain.

·
Registered
467 Posts
IIRC it's PO1561 traction control torque request circuit. I've checked every wire coming from the PCM to the speed sensors, EBTCM, DIC, and the Trans. All have checked out OK. Even had someone go over it with the Tech II and it had no answers. I got a detailed description of the DTC straight from GM through Justin over at Casper's, and that didn't even help. I never use the TCS anyway, so I gave up on it. Now I'd like to get some odds and ends fixed up on the car, and this is one of them. I plan on replacing the PCM next, but I want a tuner package, and don't want to pop for a custom PCM, then have to buy the tuning software also.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My DTC

It happened again tonight and it wasn't even raining. It was after I hit a farily large bump in the road.

P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

So...where is this sensor?? The first thing i'm gonna do is check the wiring and maybe replace the sensor if nothing else...

Nick

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happened again

Ok, this time it happened just driving down the freeway on a sunny day. Cruise was on and everything.

Of course, i just had washed my car so maybe thats it, but who knows. Does anyone have any advice about that DTC??

Nick

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again

So, my problem still happens...

This time it was from a stoplight. I started accelerating at a decent speed and then stepped on it around 20. It was in first gear the whole time. At around 40 or so, i felt a sudden jerk in the car as if it lost all power for as split second then kicked right back in. Tach was stuck at 0rpm the rest of the way and my TCS was off.

Any help?

Nick

·
Registered
8 Posts
My car does this exact same thing. I have no clue what it could be either. I have died out completly a couple times. The tcs light goes on and the rpm's drop to 0 but the car still drives. Sometimes it will bog and just die out. I will Try to restart and most of the time it restarts right away. Last time it did this I tried to restart and it wouldn't so I thought maybe I would wiggle some wires :confused: I wiggled the alternator wires and then it fired right up. It hasn't done it since then but I'm sure it will.... I have also scanned the car and there are no codes ever when this happens. It has been doing this on and off for almost a year. It sucks not knowing if or when it will do it again. :eek:

I hope someone will figure this out as I have seen quite a few posts about the same problem on the other boards.

Good Luck,
Jamie :)

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Sounds like you might have a problem with the crank sensor. IIRC, the connector is behind the S/C tensioner.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replaced my crankshaft position sensor finally. Seems to have done the trick, I haven't had a problem in a couple months.

Thanks everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts