3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've recently decided to do an EGR delete on my 97 Grand Prix GT because the valve decided to head out on me and I didn't want to buy a new one. I'm getting rid of the entire thing tubing and all. I have block off plates from ZZP and some high temp RTV. I know what I need to do but I've hit a roadblock, I have the EGR Valve, the tubing, and all that off except this on piece in the very back.

IMG_20210116_192336149.jpg

How the hell does this come off!? It's all I need to get off so I can get my exhaust and intake plates on!

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
The bolt threads in from the rear, like the rest of the manifold. It's a little tight to get in there for the 10mm or 13mm bolt, but a combination of wrench options (GearWrench, normal box/closed end, open end...) and some different sockets with or without extensions (1/4" drive, 3/8" drive, short/deep sockets) will get you there. Just gotta dive in and figure out what works from your tool set, as we all do when we get in those spots

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up getting it from underneath with lots of extensions haha.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
Ya, I had a routine back when I was dismantling a bunch of stock setups for headers and such, but don't recall the exact tool(s) that make it from up top. There's a couple ways, just gotta mess around with your options while trying not to ruin stuff.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
Ummm... that's kinda the opposite of the purpose of this forum. Especially such a simple task, even if it's something the owner is fairly new at. If he was diagnosing it, and having issues that didn't require a single bolt to overcome, maybe getting experienced eyes would be the suggestion, but this one isn't at that level.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Start messing around with things that shouldn't be done and ur gonna have problems. Idk why you'd wanna delete a nessesary part. These aren't muscle cars. They're luxury cars. Every day cars. But that's me. Kids need to leave well enough alone!

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
A) if you keep "kids" in an unskilled dependency bubble that's reliant on overpriced, dishonest shops/dealership service for 100% of their vehicle maintenance, car culture wouldn't exist. It also means you forfeit any argument that younger generations don't know how to do things, because you wanted it that way to artificially prop up your own status.

B) EGR isn't remotely necessary, especially in this design. It siphons a fraction of a single cylinder's exhaust as an afterthought-engineered add-on (the AIR injection system applied in limited vehicles had slightly more comprehensive design). The guise of emissions is the excuse, but anyone is only arguing in bad faith that this remotely helps hydrocarbon output, and introducing so much heated air into the intake tract is helping, when most done to optimize engine performance is focused on cooling.

Modifications done to optimize efficiency in these engines vs. performance also ditch this joke of an item in favor of fuel and timing adjustments that significantly help gain 5-10mpg's, especially on 2.93 geared cars. We probably shouldn't do that as "kids" either, since that reduces how much we support those struggling oil companies, and may enjoy our vehicles more, which would mean we're less inclined to throw out these "obsolete" vehicles to rely on the latest replacement these great manufacturers constantly market. Glad the current offerings are so perfect, cuz they said that last cycle too, and it wasn't true, but this time it is. Hail corporate!

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. All stock and rust free. That will change soon.
54 Posts
OP: glad you were able to get it. If faced with the same issue, I'd just shut it off in the PCM and leave the hard parts in place as long as there was no leak. Benefit of still having my DHP I guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Start messing around with things that shouldn't be done and ur gonna have problems. Idk why you'd wanna delete a nessesary part. These aren't muscle cars. They're luxury cars. Every day cars. But that's me. Kids need to leave well enough alone!
I ended up figuring it out and it's runs just fine lol. I got rid of it cause I wasn't paying $100+ cause the valve decided to crap out and ruin my idle. I don't want that nasty garbage blown into my intake anyways...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ended up figuring it out and it's runs just fine lol. I got rid of it cause I wasn't paying $100+ cause the valve decided to crap out and ruin my idle. I don't want that nasty garbage blown into my intake anyways...
What makes you think the car will perform better WITHOUT it? Emmisons???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What makes you think the car will perform better WITHOUT it? Emmisons???
I know what getting rid of it does. I got rid of it cause I wanted a cleaner intake and not have to deal with spending over $100 for a simple valve.

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. All stock and rust free. That will change soon.
54 Posts
I don't sse the problem, it's my vehicle and I'm willing to do things for the learning experience... I enjoy working on my vehicle.
don't feed the trolls

·
Registered
37 Posts
You're all just young kids just playing around with your cars thinking you're modifying or improving them. It's not. Egr is there for a reason, but it's your car. You'll learn when the other nut drops.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
You're all just young kids just playing around with your cars thinking you're modifying or improving them. It's not.
Feel free to have an opinion on what people are doing, but if you're not trying to reply with something constructive and relevant, it's obviously not necessary to waste your time or theirs arguing about such minor things as an EGR valve.

Modifying these cars is why there's so many well-engineered upgrades, work-arounds, and repair parts available that weren't on the market when I bought my 1st 3800 car 20yrs ago. I can refute every part of your replies here with decades of trial & error, experience, and results by myself and thousands of others... But it's up to each of us to decide what brought you here, find out what does and doesn't matter to your projects, and discuss things with information ready to present.

Life is too serious outside our driveways and internet car chats to bring it here. Outside factors ruin discussions elsewhere, so let's not even let it creep into this place we come to discuss what ailes our old GM iron.

Reactions: NotSoGrand
1 - 20 of 21 Posts