3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious about the worth and ease of blocking off EGR system and removing PCV and adding a chrome breather? Does anyone know how to and if it does anything?

·
Registered
187 Posts
yes your good on blocking the pcv. There is nor reason to specificaly block the pcv unlees your doing a mod that doesn't allow it to function properly. Blocking the pcv gains you nothing. As for the egr you'll need a sim or have the codes pulled from the pcm. Then you just remove it and use the blockoff plates to block the ports.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I took my EGR codes out... What are the advantages/disadvantages of removing the EGR and what is the easiest/best/cost method for blocking off the openings.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If yoru PCV pasages are blocked, then yes you will need a breather.

As for the EGR removal, its a weight saving mod and it also dosnt recirculate bad air back in your intake. So your intake will be cleaner but environmentally your car will be dirtier.

As for how to remove, you will need 2 plates to block off the holes. One on the intake under the TB and the other on the header/manifold. i use a penny and some RTV in both cases. ZZP makes some block off plates or you can make yoru own. Either way make sur eyou seal them up good. Also you will have to have th EGR code removed from your PCM or get the ZZP eger spoof. Insidently i have the spoof for sale if anyone needs one. PM for info.

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
I read somewhere that the EGR can also help in KR reduction (I don't remember how something about maintaing air temps?) Anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
What not to do.....

Don't get like me and feel you just have to mess with something for the day...I pulled my EGR off the tubing section, tube out from under the TB, bracket off and then realized I could not get to the bolt on the underside of the exhaust manifold that hold that side of the tubing. I blocked off the hole under the TB but now I cant block off the tubing coming from the exhaust. Sounds like I got a little Harley under the hood during excelleration. :mad:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Rogue said:
I read somewhere that the EGR can also help in KR reduction (I don't remember how something about maintaing air temps?) Anyone heard of this?
I would venture to say no. Considering it blows all of the carbon and dirt back into the intake mani. Thats why our intake mani's look like ass after a little bit.

·
Registered
565 Posts
dayday said:
What not to do.....

Don't get like me and feel you just have to mess with something for the day...I pulled my EGR off the tubing section, tube out from under the TB, bracket off and then realized I could not get to the bolt on the underside of the exhaust manifold that hold that side of the tubing. I blocked off the hole under the TB but now I cant block off the tubing coming from the exhaust. Sounds like I got a little Harley under the hood during excelleration. :mad:
Here's the way I got to it: 1/4" ratchet, short extension, and 10mm deepwell socket. If it is too long (hits the firewall), try just the deepwell w/o the extension, or the extension with a standard 10mm.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
JasonGS said:
Here's the way I got to it: 1/4" ratchet, short extension, and 10mm deepwell socket. If it is too long (hits the firewall), try just the deepwell w/o the extension, or the extension with a standard 10mm.
Thanks :) I looked at it again after work today and was able to get in there to it. All better now :D

G

·
one of the downfalls is that you will have worse mileage. Some bonnevilles had no EGR in 92 and now have burnt valve problems, FYI.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you dont have the codes removed or the simulater what are the effects on the car, I know the code will throw, will it run rich, lean?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Doug I know that it can make your car hard to tune if you don't block off the holes because unmeterd air enters. Other than that I would say nothing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
spd98 said:
Doug I know that it can make your car hard to tune if you don't block off the holes because unmeterd air enters. Other than that I would say nothing.

They are gonna be blocked off, Ive just heard peole say they have seen cars run either lean or rich no pattern when the code was thrown, Which mine will be doing since I wont have a pcm for it yet

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have no idea the affects other than the codes and the SES light on. Why find out, just do it correctly the first time. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Doug the being lean and rich part has to do with the unmeterd air entering. The pcm commands fueling based on maff airflow and so depending on your boost status (vacuum or boost) I would guess the pcm has no way of really controling it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Isnt the whole purpose of the EGR to help the car warm up faster. It recirculates hot exhaust air back in the intake when the valve is open.
The only reason I know for removing it is weight, and it takes away some of the cluttered mess we have under the hood.

Scott

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also, although the EGR does put the wastes back into the engine, this does help by reducing KR because it keeps cylinder temps down. In tern, means less chance of detonation

·
Registered
187 Posts
Poeple say that but I am still not buying that reason for reducing kr.
1st off it dirties everything up therefore more carbon fouling and less effecency.
2nd off kr is often caused by hot spots. If you putting warmer air back into the motor then your not cooling the hot spots off as much as you can either. The only way the egr can keep cylinder temps down is by interfering with the combustion process which will rob you off power.plain and simple the egr is an eco friendly device not a power friendly one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts