3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Proud Supporter of 3800PRO
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen these advertised on sites. I can see a little practicality in these. However, an EGR system greatly reduces NOx which becomes present with hot combustion chambers(heat being the by-product I am worrying about). I see these kits coming with an EGR simulator which I guess fools an ECU, but in my experience fooling a combustion chamber is much harder. Is anyone running one of these? Would'nt this be a tuning nightmare?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
EGR questions

I asked a similar question not too long ago and the only responses I got were from folks that have IC's... Makes sense, I think if you deleted EGR without some form of cooling the CC it would detonate like a mother!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
EGR cools the C.C. by introducing inert air into the mixture. EGR doesnt operate when the engine is cold, it has no reason to heat the mixture.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
regardless though look at your fastest street cars and so on 95%of them do not run a EGR valve that was originally equiped with sorry but theres no way in h*** a EGR system will make more power than one without its all for emissions which most of us can say we dont care how much crap is coming out the tailpipe...as long as we pass emissions test thats all that matters

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
if i'm not mistaken the 2000+ LS1 cars dont have an egr. they ditched it in 99 by putting a slightly smaller cam in the newer models to get around the extra emissions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just about everybody that has headers (and thats a lot of people) gets rid of their EGR, too. Just remove the codes from the PCM and call it a day.
Yep. When Tim installed my headers, he removed the EGR and codes from the PCM.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
if i'm not mistaken the 2000+ LS1 cars dont have an egr. they ditched it in 99 by putting a slightly smaller cam in the newer models to get around the extra emissions.
A lot of engines that dont have EGR use a cam with enough overlap so that EGR occurs naturally through the valves during the intake stroke. When I upgrade my valve train and cam, good-bye EGR...

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So in other words do not remove your EGR w/o upgrading to a cam w/ higher lift and duration.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My EGR was removed before I had my CAM installed. I did have 1.9 RR's though.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I removed my EGR, and did not have any tuning issues at all. All that was required was deleting the codes out of the PCM. Didn't see any knock from it, and my tune didn't go out of whack either.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
anyone should do the EGR delete if youre looking for performance

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are many different variation of EGR systems. There are many different types of controls and actuators for these systems, modulator valves, EGR vsv's and so forth. You could wait to hear different responses but one good place to look if you want a complete understanding is howstuffworks.com. It has some good diagrams and explanations for anything you want. I could sit here and try to explain to you but this way there's not a million threads of misconceptions.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
yea true im dissing the book facts on how a egr is SUPPOSED to work but lets face it...how many things are 100% functional from the factory from GM during the crap years?? Thats why were here and why these nice folks built this website because we all know if we want to drive our vehicles hard or fast we must MODIFY:icon_twis my whole point being the GM EGR system is more harmful to the longevity and efficency for our engines I love GM but some things must go

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
There are many different variation of EGR systems. There are many different types of controls and actuators for these systems, modulator valves, EGR vsv's and so forth. You could wait to hear different responses but one good place to look if you want a complete understanding is howstuffworks.com. It has some good diagrams and explanations for anything you want. I could sit here and try to explain to you but this way there's not a million threads of misconceptions.
Amen! Thats the heart of the matter. The factory installs these systems to reduce high combustion chamber temperatures which directly cause NOx emissions (aka: the brown cloud or photochemical smog). High combustion chamber temps also lead to abnormal combustion or KR as we call it. When we scan for KR were looking for abnormal combustion. If you want maximum horsepower you must be concerned with KR because it directly affects the amount of timing advance which directly affects your HP output. There are ways around EGR: cam overlap, higher octane fuel, IC's, etc, basically anything you can also use to lower KR.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I dont have an EGR system on my car. When I had my headers installed, they took it out. Have not seen any adverse effects what so ever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts