3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 94 Buick Park Avenue Ultra. I know that the stock pulley size for 94-95 M62 Eaton superchargers on the 3800 series 1 is 2.85" but I was wondering how big of a drop I could do. I do have a k&n air filter and I don't have a catalitic converter due to the previous owner. I have also done some mods to the muffler. I just don't know how far I can drop in pulley size without needing supporing mods in the engine, or computer. Thank you

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Your going into uncharted territory, dropping pulley size you will need to find yourself a smaller belt. The M62's are massive heat generators worse than the Gen3 M90's, you will need more mods than that to keep it KR free. 91+ octane, colder plugs, and maybe some custom headers/DP to run anything smaller than stock. Some tuning software or a scan gauge should be were you start. Im not sure if there are any aftermarket mail order tunes for your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. Well I somewhat figured that, but wouldn't the pulley tentioner pick up the slack if I were to only drop down a tenth of an inch? And do u know what the stock rpm is for the m62? I have heard max is 14000rpm but not sure if the info is correct. Please shine a little light on the subject if possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think I would have to get a smaller belt and everything your talking about if I only drop from 2.85" to2.7" I already run 91 octane in it, sometimes 93.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The tensioner can only take up so much, running a 2.7 may be ok but I would at least get yourself a new belt in case yours has stretched. Keeping a close eye on it would be a good idea too. I would find some way to monitor your KR first and see if you have any now to start, then see what happens with the 2.7 on 91 & 93. As to the rpm speed on the M62 im not sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do u know of any way of checking my KR right now? Im just curious because I am clearly new to modding the engine. My brother is a mechanic for gm but really doesn't know a ton about the series 1 and the M62. Do u think I would still need the tune if I don't have KR with the 2.7"?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You have a few options, either a scan tool that can read it (some of the cheap ones can only read codes and not specifics), one of the Aeroforce Interceptor gauges that can monitor everything, or some type of tuning software. You may have to do some research to find something that will work, if im not mistaken your car is OBD1 right? That will limit some of your options. You wouldn't need a tune if your not seeing any knock but your could certainly benefit from one. You will gain more performance wise than dropping to a 2.7 and you may even pick up a few mpg too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is OBD 1. If I can find a scanner for it, or something that will tune it, then that would be great. Hopfully I can find one for around $100? I really have no idea on prices for these

1 - 8 of 8 Posts