3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched an e85 conversion get done on a sbc 355 and it was freaking amaizing. total castiron engine for a bomber class race car make as muchpower with the e85 as the 110 at 350 hp and 426 ft lbs at 5300 rpm. after about 10 mins of runnig you could reach down and hold the sides of the heads and they were moderately warm. my grand prix is performance oriented so im not worried about the loss of mpgs as my build would probably need to run 104 anyways at like 6 dollars a gallon. Im running about 9.8 compression and wanting to stick with my 3.4 pulley no intercooler. I can get a conversion kit for around 300 dollars and am wanting others opinions. So far all the things ive seen have impressed me very much. i know everyone knocks e85 cause its taking corn out of the mouths of starving pickle pickers but we cantely on foreign oil forever. if you can make more hp for less money and keep the money in america why the hell not. i never considered doing this till about 3 days ago and have been doing some reading and from what i seen on that sbc i was very very impressed and for me thats not aneasy task.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Everybody knocks ethanol when it's mixed with gasoline at like 10% because it basically just straight up sucks balls all around, it costs more, burns ****tier, etc. The 85% stuff is basically pump gas alcohol and some major power can be had with it when set up right. If you run a search I think there are threads with the complete conversion list you need like plastic gas tank, the lines, and what not.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's well worth it. In my sig shows the difference...just more boost, timing, and E85! Winter time sucks..I switch it back to pump gas tune during the winter months.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
might be doing this also very soon. i think the big thing for most people is that you need the injectors for your setup and the tuneing stuff. everything else is inexpensive if you know where to look(Morad). for instance i just need to upgrade injectors and get a couple of minor things and ill be flying on E85.:icon_bigg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm???

if you go to change2e85.com they claim on there that all cars built past 1985 or so have seals and teflon that is ethanol resistant. they sell a kit that just plugs into your fuel injectors that is supposed to make them spray more fuel in to compensate. beyond that they say you should change your fuel filter after about 1000 miles of e85 and you should be able to rock out with your chicken out;) for colder climates they have a system that is suppose to help your car run richer for the first few minutes of startup for winter time starting right now im currently running 42lb matched lucas injectors and am already pcm flashed for those. im wanting to bring my car to zzp to have it tuned after i get it done right now im doing a big build. any of you guys see the l32 rods?? you cant even see the gap where the main cap goes on i thought i got some bunk ones so we undid the bolts and it came right aprart-very tight machine work from GM. but anyways if you guys have more solid facts on the e85 conversions hit me back!!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Well, If I had E85 available near my house, I would SOOOOO jump on it.......GUARANTEED 11's for me off the bottle!!! Hehehehe! Def. worth the conversion!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Been interested in this conversion too... I thought the only parts we needed was the bigger injectors and a tune?? Anyone wanna fill me in real quick on the process and parts needed?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I heard of some guys at the track last night who ran some of the stuff. They do report back some impressive agains, about 30% more ponies. Im not sure as to the total conversion because of the errosion factor but, fueling up with larger injectors IS a given. Outside of that, not really too sure on the effects of this alternate fuel. I havent heard any destructive issues yet with the modded Evo's and STi's running the fuel around here. Guess I'll start asking when I see my local gas station start to carry the stuff! LOL!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You can bet your 3.4 pulley, that my Turbo 97' GP is going to drink it! LOL!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I can keep you informed if you want Kevin?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Accepted and yeah I would really appreciate that... We only have 2 stations in town according to this Growth Energy Market Development but neither is too far for those kinds of gains...

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
But I am a big fan of it, it is good stuff to run really. I have run 30k+ miles of it on my LT1 (LT1's love it), ran a few hundred on my SC 3800 with it, but I really need larger injectors for it on the 3800.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
But I am a big fan of it, it is good stuff to run really. I have run 30k+ miles of it on my LT1 (LT1's love it), ran a few hundred on my SC 3800 with it, but I really need larger injectors for it on the 3800.....
Yep, mostly due to their 10.5:1 CR. :8

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
:) Mines an iron headed too, which with the heat of the iron heads, really does it well. Stock on gas I would see 19's average in my daily commute on gas (87 octane), and on E85, I would see mid 16's. In my case, I saved $$ driving on E85....

Yep, mostly due to their 10.5:1 CR. :8

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Been interested in this conversion too... I thought the only parts we needed was the bigger injectors and a tune?? Anyone wanna fill me in real quick on the process and parts needed?
it depends on the year of your car. older model have metal tanks, where as newer models come with plastic tanks. from what i understand a new fuel filter will be required. also you need new injector o-rings from a vehical like a flex fuel malibu. there are also some other things that i can't think of right now. but this was all the stuff i was told about when i considered it about a year ago.

hopefully some of our E85 club members can chime in on this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
:) Mines an iron headed too, which with the heat of the iron heads, really does it well. Stock on gas I would see 19's average in my daily commute on gas (87 octane), and on E85, I would see mid 16's. In my case, I saved $$ driving on E85....
I always preferred the iron headed motors anyways, sure they were down on power stock for stock versus their aluminum headed brothern, but that is easily fixed. Plus, when it comes time to port and rework the heads, you can go bigger with the iron versions and they already outflow the aluminum heads stock for stock. IMHO, it's well worth taking the extra weight hit.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Have you actually confirmed the iron heads flow more than the alums? The internet shows it, but that is often full of errors.

I would like to see 2 stock heads of each on the same flow bench, same operator.... same conditions....

I always preferred the iron headed motors anyways, sure they were down on power stock for stock versus their aluminum headed brothern, but that is easily fixed. Plus, when it comes time to port and rework the heads, you can go bigger with the iron versions and they already outflow the aluminum heads stock for stock. IMHO, it's well worth taking the extra weight hit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you actually confirmed the iron heads flow more than the alums? The internet shows it, but that is often full of errors.

I would like to see 2 stock heads of each on the same flow bench, same operator.... same conditions....
I've not since I don't have a flow bench, but I have talked to the guys on LS1tech.com who have, and they have confirmed in the past, that the iron versions do flow more, mostly due to the thinner deck I believe.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Ethanol is NOT near as corrosive as Methanol, it is VERY confused on the Internet Junklore.

Steel and Plastic lines are fine. I have had E85 in my 454 Suburban's tank for a lot of miles and pulled the tank 2x and it is fine, clean as a whistle and no problems in the fuel filter.

The problem is water, gas and water don't mix, Ethanol cleans up the rust that the water creates in the steel lines, then it rusts more and the cycle finally creates a hole. But with cars that have been running E10 for a long time, the issue is virtually non-existent, being the ethanol is hygroscopic and keeps the water out of the "mix"....

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I think my 60 lb'ers on my 04' will run static, if I re-tune for E85. LOL! Any one know actual horsepower differences. I heard that my buddy that owns an Evo at CFT here in Orlando used to dyno [email protected] With the newer tune and E85, they now dyno [email protected] wheels. Folks, this sounds alot similiar like a good shot of NO2 to me, all at the pump!!! Is there really that much of a difference? I found out that we have a gas station in Northern Orlando that carries it on the Florida turnpike. Its 36 miles from my home..............Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts