3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, you must be able to obtain E85. With a growing number of stations nation wide this will become more popular as time goes on!
E85 is 85% ethanol(yes the corn stuff) and 15% other additives! Most think that it is 15% gasoline but this is actually untrue. Though gasoline is the biggest additive of the rest of the concoction, it isn't to it's entirety.

Should I run E85?
Hell yeah if you've got it!

E85= 105 octain rating This allows us to get rid of LOTS of KR and/or increase timing or drop in pulley.
E85 provides an "intercooling effect" cooling the air intake temperatures upon entry to the cylider.
E85=No hard parts need to be changed IN OUR VEHICLES. PERIOD. Vehicles approximately mid 80's needs to replace the fuel system.
*Note*
Vehicles that were made to run on 10% Ethanol content gasoline (such as our vehicles) recieved an "ethanol resistant" fueling system eliminating the need to change parts over like O-rings, lines, ect.
Facts:
E85 because of it's high ethanol content, should be flowing approxiamtely 20-30% more than regular gasoline. This needs to be done to counteract the high ethanol content.

E85 turns into E70(adding more gasoline) in the winter times in the north, to help vehicles start more easily.
*Note* E70 in the winter is much more difficult to start in 30>X temperatures! You have been warned!

E85 doesn't contain the explosive potential of gasoline, and releases less CO2 when burned, being a cleaner alternative.

E85 gets approximately 15-30% less gas mileage (depending on vehicle)than gasoline because of the explosion potential as stated previously. I would recommend a fuel pump rewire for flowing purposes. Also, my injectors went static on my 3.25 pulley set up . To run E85 for bigger setups, expect to buy BIGGER INJECTORS.
E85 is a cheaper alternative to gasoline, and makes a great race gas:icon_razz

If E85 is in your area, fill up and feel the difference literally. I was able to pulley down, from a 3.3 setup tuned on gasoline to a 2.9 pulley tuned on E85 as the only modification! This propelled my E.T. from a [email protected] to a [email protected]! (I was on street tires with a 2.25 60foot and NONEXISTANT traction.
The torque increase was incredible! The tires spin At a 40mph roll.
E85 can be mixed untuned with regular gasoline, but remember E85 flows a little leaner than gasoline, but you can still capitalize on the octane rating! Before I had HP, I used to run a 50/50 mix for street driving with no problems or even a check engine lamp! I did this for a year and a half! Even with out a tune, the vehicle runs stronger. Your benefit is your timing you keep. These engines knock like crazy, and These engines LOVE E85.
Don’t dyno on gasoline, Dyno on E85!

The uptop pull is a sizable increase picking up where our Heaton's fall off!

Tuning for E85 I scaled the Injector Flow Rate table 22% as a starting point. Changing the Stoich with HP tuners Does NOT WORK! If the car idle shakes at idle and idles rough it is WAY TOO LEAN and the IFR is the easiest way to change it.

If you guys can add anything go ahead, E85 for our vehicles is the wave of the future.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
what injectors where you running?

I just have to make my disicion on weather to go with 60lb injectors or 80's. 80's would be good for adding future mods.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
And its $2.11 by me....

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
............and its cheap!!!!!!!!!! I can smell the 105 octane popcorn juice coming. Woohoo!! I'm ready for it, just dont want to travel 40 miles to get it...hehehehe.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Hey Stephan, good write-up man! One thing is certain, 60 lb. injectors will be in high demand, if not the 80lb'ers for the more serious. LOL!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I used to run it so much in my LT1 Fleetwood I would drive 50 miles to get it (went there anyway) and fill up, and then fill up 6 5 gallon cans and run it all week... :) LT1's LOVE E85.... iron heads, 10:1 compression is a good thing....

............and its cheap!!!!!!!!!! I can smell the 105 octane popcorn juice coming. Woohoo!! I'm ready for it, just dont want to travel 40 miles to get it...hehehehe.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've been running it daily for a couple months now and I'm very happy with the results. The car picked up a ton of power (not that its useful at all with the tires spinning) and it doesn't cost me any more than the premium gas did.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I'd be happy just breaking into the 11's finally without the bottle......just need a 10th or two. It would be nice to fill-up locally though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm running 60lb's don't waste your time on anything less than that. At the peak, my injectors are at about 71% duty cycle between shifts I am running a 2.9 pulley with a Ported LIM; N*TB; Ported Blower to match. Not to say that a tune isn't necessary, but anything helps! On this stuff, Everyone should be 12's.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
what tables exactly need to be changed?

i would like to run e85 in my car to see if it is worth it and worth the gas milage that i would be loosing

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nothing HAS to be changed. And I will personally vouch for a 50/50 mix untuned. But for BEST performance, change the Injector Flow rate table for HP... That's what I'm using. Engine, Fuel control and its under injectors. Take your injector size and divide by 1.2 to give you a good base line for Starting! Remember we have to enrichen.
BTW, you will lose at leat 15% gas mileage. But you don't fill up with E85 for Mileage lol.

$2.29 in Davison, MI

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
does it matter if i have the metal gas tank in my car still?

is the 1.2 number you told me to divide injector size by is that for 50/50 mix or straight e85

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I used to run it so much in my LT1 Fleetwood I would drive 50 miles to get it (went there anyway) and fill up, and then fill up 6 5 gallon cans and run it all week...
Road warrior!!;) I'd do the same, if it were possible.:8

·
Registered
1,795 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i put in about 5 gal worth of e85(btw 2.39 compared to 2.99) to half tank of premium gas.

i did noticed a big increase in power. mid to 3/4ish throttle was amazing feeling) i was scared to go wot:( my car did set a p0171 for bank 1 to lean when i let it idle for about 5 mins. i cleared to code and it didnt come back and i did probably about 15 miles of driving.

i like what e85 did to my car but i think i would feel safer if i had the plastic gas tank and me changing the tune in my car to better suit the e85. ltft were at 16.4

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Its great stuff, just don't fill up with it in our cold winters. Dividing by 1.2 is for straight e85, from your previous post.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i can't wait to get my engine back together so i can put some in my car. between that and my other crap i'll be very happy. i've run race gas before and loved it, but e85 is only about 5 octane less then the 110 i ran and my car loved 110 but my wallet:icon_cry:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm running a 30 to 40% mix of E85(still gets reasonably good milage..mid teens in town and mid to upper 20's on highway). Running a 2.6", IC, XP cam, ported heads, headers/cat deleat, 42lb [email protected] 75% duty cycle there is O kr @20 degrees and @ 23 degrees 2to3 degrees at shift points. I'm still running a norrow band O2 and at WOT it's between .950 and .930. Needless to say, it cooks! Not completely sure about going 100% E85 yet. There is plently of this fuel here in the Minneapolis/St Paul area, but when you get a tick out of town it's a bit tough to find. By the way, my tune is not changed for this fuel mix from straight gas except when I play with the timing commander. This brings up another subject. I'm hoping to get a tuner package and be able to set up a progressive timing curve. I'm sure there are some here who have already done this. Looks like a timing curve would be a little regressive at higher rpms in 2nd and 3rd gears. My guess is several scans and data logging for these changes. Anyone out there have any results for this type of timing curve? And how did you establish the parameters?

What really brought me to E85 was my quest to get rid of KR which did take one of my engines out. I do run a mixture in the winter here(very cold) and it seems to be OK. BUT, watch out for the "WINTER BLEND on a warm spring day! YES, E85 also gets this winter blend treatment from the refineries. This is around till May 1st in this area.

Good luck to all that try it and keep scanning.... Jake L.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts