3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On piss water 87 octane and KR between 5-8 degrees through the whole run it still managed 236 whp at 6500 rpms. I do not recall the torque. I will have to get a hold of the runs so I can make graphs and post it up. Who knows what kind of power it would make on some good 93 octane and playing with the cam timing. Judging by the shape of the curve it will easily rev to 7k.

Just like the LS1 replaced the LT1. I think it might be time to lay the 3800 to rest and concentrate on this new 3.6 motor.

Yada Yada Yada. I know the motor has some issues as far as durability. I am sure they will work them out in time. Turbocharging one of these motors would be the tits.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looking forward to some graphs! Even though I work on the GM 3.6 and have to deal with its problems, I too am impressed with it's performance!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
that's pretty impressive considering the knock, and the fact it's n/a...

is it stock?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought a Malibu LTZ a couple months back with the 3.6VVT and I too am quite impressed with the performance of the engine. I have read up on some of the general complaints with this motor and IMO, it's really nothing too major with the except of some complaining of TC stretch. It sure has all the get-up-and-go I could ask for in a car like that.

·
Super Moderator
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bone Stock...

Before you start jumping on the band wagon about the torque of the M90 on a 3800. You need to think about the gearing differences between the two cars. I imagine one cylinder head off of these motors flows close to double the CFM of 2 series 2 heads. :icon_twis

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Is this a dohc engine?

I drove an 09 impala with a 3.5, it was lame....

Before you start jumping on the band wagon about the torque of the M90 on a 3800. You need to think about the gearing differences between the two cars. I imagine one cylinder head off of these motors flows close to double the CFM of 2 series 2 heads. :icon_twis

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is this a dohc engine?

I drove an 09 impala with a 3.5, it was lame....
The 2012 Impala's only engine was the 3.6L DOHC with VVT and direct injection... same as the Cadillac CTS. World of difference from the 3.5 pushrod engine you drove.

And... the 3.5 would have been mated to a 4T60 or 4T65, while the 3.6 DOHC gets the 6T70 6 speed automatic. 2 more gears = shorter 1st, taller 6th, and closer ratios throughout. Much easier to stay in the powerband.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great information. I just bought a 2012 Impala LT with the 3.6L. Very impressed with it so far.

It looks like running 93 on the factory PCM file might be beneficial, considering how much KR you had. I never would've guessed that.

Did you use HPT to scan during your dyno run?
Have you tuned any of these yet?

I plan on trying to use my HPT on mine.

Any feedback is very appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thats pretty good power. I certainly dont kid myself about how sad the 3800's heads are, and the weight is pretty ridiculous (still only 20lbs heavier than the 3.6 dohc though). However, I just cant get on board with DOHC on V oriented engines unless they come from the factory in a high state of tune to begin with. Reason being: instead of buying one camshaft and changing the whole character of the engine, you need FOUR. Combine that with the MASSIVE dimensions of DOHC V engines and Im left wondering what the fuss is all about.

Remember when the LS1 came out? I remember the whole automotive world laughing because the stupid Americans at GM couldnt figure out DOHC. Turns out, its not needed. Why add complexity if a simple solution works just as well?

For an inline engine, DOCH all the way. Motorcycle V twins, V4s and V5s? DOHC FTW. But for a car engine that anyone would ever want to build up, it just adds so much cost, complexity and rotating mass, i just cant love it.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the Gen III/IV/V V8 platform doesn't die with the LT1, reality is with this economy and with this administration who has such a stranglehold on domestic oil, unless GM is able to pull some magic out of its posterior, the DOHC engines make same power with less displacement, which is going to equal improved mpg.

Thats pretty good power. I certainly dont kid myself about how sad the 3800's heads are, and the weight is pretty ridiculous (still only 20lbs heavier than the 3.6 dohc though). However, I just cant get on board with DOHC on V oriented engines unless they come from the factory in a high state of tune to begin with. Reason being: instead of buying one camshaft and changing the whole character of the engine, you need FOUR. Combine that with the MASSIVE dimensions of DOHC V engines and Im left wondering what the fuss is all about.

Remember when the LS1 came out? I remember the whole automotive world laughing because the stupid Americans at GM couldnt figure out DOHC. Turns out, its not needed. Why add complexity if a simple solution works just as well?

For an inline engine, DOCH all the way. Motorcycle V twins, V4s and V5s? DOHC FTW. But for a car engine that anyone would ever want to build up, it just adds so much cost, complexity and rotating mass, i just cant love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts