3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2001 3800 5 speed firebird with hopes to be able to play with it a little with my DHP tuner set up. All went well with the PCM read but DHP wont edit or burn the file. The bonne still wont talk to the tuner or any other code scanner so I guess I'm done tuning :(. Any hopes of anyone being able to edit the DHP software to be able to edit and burn my osid for my bird?

·
Registered
11 Posts
There's a '99 Firebird supported. :icon_lol: OSID 9378063. Bonneville problem sound like a blown fuse or wiring problem.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm almost thinking its something in the ECU I'm getting a good 12v and ground to the ALDI plug but i dont have the right meeter to check the data + and - at the plug.

one thing Ive been reading on a little is to swap to the 98 or older cable throttle body set up and repin the ECU connectors and burn a 98 firebird file to the ecu. from then on out i would tune it as a 98 firebird. wonder what the state inspectors would think about inspecting a 2001 bird with the brain of a 98?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thinking about what Zalfrin said about the 99 bird could I burn the 99 bird bin to my ecu since both cars have the DBW set up and be able to tune my car? I would try it my self but if it doesn't work I have no way to get the 01 bin back in the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Worth a try IMO. Get yourself a spare PCM from a junkyard or car-part.com and load the '99 OSID onto that one. Then if it doesn't work you just have to swap your stock PCM back in.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did that I stole the PCM from my girls 00 bonnie and put it in the bird and burnt the 99 file to it and it would not start and kept throwing codes. Then I just burnt the bonnie file back to it and put it back in her car. I'm not sure if the hardware in the ECM might be different but it did not work.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Did you do a full flash? Must do full flash not a cal flash. I don't know DHP that well if it does full everytime or just cal flash after the first read like most other tuning programs do.

Go in and turn off the security stuff, that will prevent it from starting, or do a security learn. Once a new PCM is in a car, the BCM will revolt and not let the car start....

I did that I stole the PCM from my girls 00 bonnie and put it in the bird and burnt the 99 file to it and it would not start and kept throwing codes. Then I just burnt the bonnie file back to it and put it back in her car. I'm not sure if the hardware in the ECM might be different but it did not work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the DHP software refuses to do a partial write if there is an OSID mismatch. But security stuff is a good idea. 97-03 Grand Prixes were the bastard children of GM PCMs which can be both a blessing and a curse... I've never had to deal with finicky security settings because my BCM is very permissive. But Buicks and Montes of the same year have issues.

Another thing to make sure you did is update the VIN, otherwise the BCM will certainly be pissed.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
And the BCM gets its revenge if you try to remove it, the PCM will refuse to start without unless security stuff is turned off... BCM may not get the last laugh, but it gets some good giggles in there....

I think the DHP software refuses to do a partial write if there is an OSID mismatch. But security stuff is a good idea. 97-03 Grand Prixes were the bastard children of GM PCMs which can be both a blessing and a curse... I've never had to deal with finicky security settings because my BCM is very permissive. But Buicks and Montes of the same year have issues.

Another thing to make sure you did is update the VIN, otherwise the BCM will certainly be pissed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I did change the vin so it did burn with my vin on it but I did not even think about the security stuff. I tried to turn it off a while back on the bonnie just to see what it would do and it would not start? I'm also putting a bin from an auto car in a manual car so do i need to "0" out all of the trans and TM settings or can i just leave them as is?

DHP would only let me to a full file burn when I changed the files but if I'm only modifying the file that is already on the PCM I only do a partial burn.

On another note (and from another post) the bonne will now talk to my tuner once again! Not sure what it was but I'm guessing either a bad connection at the PCM plug that got fixed when I moved the plugs, or a tiny bit of the file got messed up so it was not sending the right signal to the ALDL but not enough to make the car not run right? So now that it fixed we have a 3.0 pulley on the way! hoping to get into the low 8's next trip to the track last time it went 8.6 with the 3.3 pulley (1/8th mile times).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
do not re-pin anything in in any ECU/PCM harness. It's a nightmare to say the least. Either properly splice what you need in(like I have to do with a WB O2 into my EGR wire for HPT to see it) or get a different wiring harness altogether.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I'm not even sure where to start but I do know I would like to get this damm DBW bull off of my car and convert to the -98 cable throttle throttle body. I have not done much reading on it but one thing I saw said that you had to repin a few pins. I know the PCM pins can be a bish we had to add a pin when we did the L67 swap into a buddys GP GT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts