3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some basic mods to my 96 Olds LSS trying to give my grandma car the getup of a teenager.
Today I tackled the down pipe.The factory setup was double wall pipe that was 2.25 inches in diameter at most it seems inside the pipe.I bought a 3" flange and a couple of gaskets hoping to make it a smooth transition and tie it into my factory exhaust after the resonator.I removed the down pipe and cut the factory pipe after(removed the converter as well) the stock resonator.The 3" flange from ZZP would not line up and work.So I bolted the factory flange and pipe stub back on,ground out the inside section of double wall pipe and then welded the 3" pipe around it.have 3" pipe to the 3" resonator I bought and then a Flowmaster tapered reducer down to 2.5" and welded that to the rest of my factory exhaust.NO cat but I did put the rear O2 back in and left room for a cat to be welded in place later if need be.Oddly enough after 100+ miles the check engine light has not come back on.:icon_lol:
The note is a little louder but more turbo sounding (think Buick GN).A little resonance at certain rpm's but completely livable and short lived.

The power is less of a burst initially and more linear as it pulls harder/smoother in the upper rpm's than before where it hit hard initially and then struggled up higher.
Time for a fuel pump,pulley drop,and a tune and then the ole geezette is done for mods and can be a fun daily driver.

Next time I have it in the air I will snap a pic and post it up.Didn't take a before photo though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hey, on my GTP I played with several different exhaust configurations(and I have MANY MODS done to the car and engine), went to the ZZ 3" stainless exhaust and it made a huge difference. First time on the throttle it hit the rev-limiter between shifts. It definitly let the engine breath and exhaust better....
Jake

BUT, it's expensive!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just don't see the rear section improving my perfromance any(at least at my power level).What I have done should carry me through any future mods I do.If I want sound I will replace the muffler but not the pipe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a few vibrations/rattle to fix but after driving it a while it is begging for more boost!I still have the stock airbox and paper filter as well.The airbox on the 96 Olds doesn't lend itself well to upgrades and a fenderwell intake is not a possibility without cutting.It pulls it's air from behind the headlight.I have drilled a few extra holes to add a little more air but there just isn't much to do other than an open hot air intake.Still pondering that.

Nice to say after a couple of tank fulls my average mpg has gone up 2 mpg!And the check engine light has stayed off even with the converter being removed!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts