3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to go talk to the local exhaust shop here in town about getting my downpipe done, and I was curious as to what I should ask him about. He doesnt have a mandrel bender. Press bent only. Is that going to effect my outcome a whole lot?

·
Registered
91 Posts
If your going to 3" the press bend sort of ovals it out ,not that bad though it ends up about 2 3/4" x 2 1/2" still an improvement over the stock DP which at the smallest point measures around 2 1/8" id.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, would I just be better off buying a downpipe off of 3800perf, or something like that?

·
Registered
91 Posts
That depends on your cash situation ,a competant shop can make a pretty decent DP for you but i found the shop i got to bend up my dp could not do both the bends in one shot,he gave me 2 pieces with bends and i cut and welded them together,Also you are going to need a flex in there somewhere i don't use a cat so thats where i've got the flex.For a lot of guys it's easier to just buy a RAT DP with cat .

·
Registered
139 Posts
i'd buy a premade dp if i were you.

·
Banned
203 Posts
My exhaust guy just got a 3" pipe, and bent it into the stock configuration. It's press bent. Like someone said above, I'm guessing it's around 2.75" or so as opposed to the dinky 2" ID that was on there. He also cut off the existing flange on the stock DP and welded up the new one and bolted it right up to the rear manifold :).

Oh, and I paid $75 installed for it ;).

·
Registered
139 Posts
75 installed it's bad at all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
chico said:
That depends on your cash situation ,a competant shop can make a pretty decent DP for you but i found the shop i got to bend up my dp could not do both the bends in one shot,he gave me 2 pieces with bends and i cut and welded them together,Also you are going to need a flex in there somewhere i don't use a cat so thats where i've got the flex.For a lot of guys it's easier to just buy a RAT DP with cat .
Just a FYI...The new generation Random Tech down pipes 'do not have flex section' in them...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FastGS88 said:
I thought you were getting headers Brandon...?
I like to keep you on your toes Mat. Never know what I might come out with. :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
i just wanted to make sure you didnt spend 100 on a custom DP that would have to be chopped off for the headers, thats all.

Mat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Car goes into Kenny Britton on monday. Getting my GTX tips put on. I am gonna talk to him about a downpipe at the same time. Just to see how much he would charge me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts