3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Looking to replace my stock exhaust system on 2003 Buick Regal GS because i have a leak somewhere around the cat. I've read up on the downpipe and u-bend delete mods and figured while I'm tearing the exhaust up, might as well go ahead and install those mods. I'm currently looking at this downpipe and cat:
Hogan Performance W-Body 3" Stainless Steel Downpipe with Hi Flow Catalytic Converter: 3800 Performance

My questions are:
difficulty level in accessing downpipe connector bolts?
Where does the downpipe actually connect to, is it to the exhaust manifold?
Looking at this product, it seems to have the u-bend delete, correct?
Is a 3" downpipe like in this product a direct bolt-on piece or does it require any other additions?

If some of these questions sound newbish, its because its my first post and my first time messing with exhaust. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Yes, the u-bend is out of this one.

The bolts are easy access, just get a LONG extension, say a 36" and it will be pretty easy. I haven't done mine yet, mainly my 3" DP is missing the flex and I need to get one and get it installed and then install the DP/Cat.

The rear manifold is similar to a V8 manifold, has 4 ports from the engine, 3 from the back side and 1 from the pipe coming around from the front side, it merges into 1 hole that connects to the downpipe. Stupid design, they could have done much better, look at the aftermarket headers, they do it like GM should have.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Pretty sure it is a bolt on. At least on L67's. LOTS of people do it, never heard of issues.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Sorry was thinking only at manifold, but at exhaust pipe mine is 2.5" not sure what yours is, and mine the flange is in front of the cat, none behind. W-Bodies are different there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I bought a Magnaflow back in 2009 paid $150 from Magnaflow 23405 49-State Legal Direct-Fit Catalytic Converter-Authorized Dealer - WCP Diesel
It's only a 2.5" and will fit your Regal just be glad you're not in CA or NY(law changes 6/13) because they're between $400-600. Like nodih said get a long extension (photo 1) and the downpipe connects to the outlet of the exhaust manifold here (photo 2). Other end connects to the resonator mine is not original. (photo 3) O² is not attached yet in photo.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts