3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7 months ago I purchased and installed a 3" R/T d/p (w/o cat) to attach to my 3" in/out car sound cat. Within the last month the d/p developed a leak in the flex section at the top of the pipe.

The flex area metal is so thin that it is not re-weldable. As a reult I had to have a solid piece of 3" pipe welded in. The GTP is my daily so I couldn't afford any downtime waiting for another part.

My questions :

1. Is it absolutely necessary to have a flex section in the d/p, and

2. can any damage be caused anywhere by just having solid pipe there ?

I should mention that I have a poly motor mount so there isn't much torque travel in the engine/drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Even with the poly moutns the engine will move, especially when you go WOT. Not as much as it would with stock mounts but still some. So yes I think you should have some type of flex or something there at the DP. You dont want to crack your pipe or worse your headers or any of the bolts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Merc...that's what I was afraid of. I just love having to spend additional $$ I shouldn't have to and don't have around the holidays. :mad:

It's understood that the more you mod/develop hp & torque, the better your chances are for premature failure of parts, however, I would have thought that such a part would last longer than 7 months !?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
One would like to think that. I feel your pain. I too have a leak at my flexpipe. Ill fix it in the spring or if it gets too bad, sooner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts