3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping my young daughter get her 96 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight back on the road and replacing the intake manifold gaskets.

I have the Dorman Gasket Kit, the stove pipe is a real loose fit into the lower manifold.

My first instinct is to slap some j-b weld high heat on it and call it good.

Any recommendations on the best way or product to fit it to the lower intake manifold?

Thank you,

Daniel

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
The rubber seals on the gasket will isolate the air, but if you want to use some hi-temp RTV to stabilize the pipe a few hours before putting the upper plenum back on, it'll keep it in place. It's usually a press fit, but might've been warped over time or not pressed in all the way.

Feel free to post pictures of anything you want clarified.

Reactions: WilliamE

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Did you pull out the old stove pipe and replace it with the redesigned reduced diameter one?
I cannot remember if that came with the UIM or LIM Kit..
My 96' Park AVE had no gasket or rubber where the stove pipe went, I just used vice-grips and a hammer to remove the old one, and I put the old one on top of the new one and used a hammer to tap it into place..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rubber seals on the gasket will isolate the air, but if you want to use some hi-temp RTV to stabilize the pipe a few hours before putting the upper plenum back on, it'll keep it in place. It's usually a press fit, but might've been warped over time or not pressed in all the way.

Feel free to post pictures of anything you want clarified.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you

I picked up some high temp rtv today and will use it to install keep the new pipe in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you pull out the old stove pipe and replace it with the redesigned reduced diameter one?
I cannot remember if that came with the UIM or LIM Kit..
My 96' Park AVE had no gasket or rubber where the stove pipe went, I just used vice-grips and a hammer to remove the old one, and I put the old one on top of the new one and used a hammer to tap it into place..
I did pull the old one out with some vice grips. The new reduced diameter pipe fits in but is a little loose I can just set it in place there is no tension keeping it in place. I got some high temp rtv to keep it on place.

thank you.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Should be good to go then, I was thinking about coating it in a lil JB Weld, put it in and let it cure, but at least with the RTV way it will come out easier if you have to get back in there for some reason, hopefully your fix lasts the rest of the life of the car...
Keep the coolant in the system air free, and changed regularly, and I think it will be fine, even if you went with Dex Cool again, I finally flushed mine totally and went with some Zerex/ Original Green low silicate formula antifreeze.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts