3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! This is the first time I've ever town down and built up an engine, so I'm a noob. But trying to accomplish my goals, and learn as I go, and also have fun.

I've started with a 2008 Series 3 n/a motor with little over 5000 miles on it. Pulled the top end completely off.

I've put in a ZZP XPZ cam, and will be slapping ZZP stage 3 ported and polished heads with 150lb springs all around. Double rollmaster timing chain, 42.5lb injectors, fuel rail, ect. I will be putting the top back together with a SeriesII supercharger.

With the head gaskets I've chosen, they tell me I'll be at 9.6:1 compression. I'm planning to run fairly conservative on the pulley size, at least to start (though for now I'm stuck using a Gen3 supercharger).

My first main question is in regards to the Rollmaster, and there are two questions. The rollmaster seems to fit beautifully on the cam, but is a really, really tight fit on the crank. Is that normal? The stock one pulled off very, very easily. The rollmaster crank sprocket will need to be hammered on or presses on or something, it won't just slide and fit. Anyone else experienced this?

The second question for it, is there are so many options for timing advance on the cam sprockets and everything...I don't know what I should choose! Should I run 0 degrees, advance it or retard it a bit?

I'm not trying to squeeze EVERY last available pony out of the engine, I'd like to maintain some reliability and durability and driveability, and whatnot. But if theres room for improvement without any serious downfalls, I'd definately like to do it. And I can't find recommendations on the cam timing anywhere!

I'm hoping some of you guys'll have an idea!

Thanks!
-Paul

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes its a snug fit, I used the stock gear and a rubber mallet to hammer it on gently making sure the cam gear goes on at the same rate to keep stress off the chain.

Run 0* and then have it adjusted in the tables, advancing or retarding it will require you to check your piston to valve clearances, you dont want one of your nice new valves getting bent.

I am in the middle of my xp cam install with pretty much the same setup as you, Intercooled and ported heads along with all the other goodies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts