3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help getting the tune straightened out on my 3800 SC. I have an INTENSE-Racing PCM that is supposed to have lifetime free tunes but they appear to no longer be working and don't answer requests.
Right now it seems to have very little power until 3/4 throttle, if I nail it and let off the gas it backfires, it also seems to be going for top gear when just cruising.
One really confusing part is the engine came out of a 2004 Chevy Impala SS which from the posts I've seen suggest its a L67 but the INTENSE-Racing PCM has a sticker on it that says it's a L32 conversion.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Ya, at this point, I wouldn't focus so much on whatever details besides whatever file is on there. I have parts from all 4 different 3800 Series 2-3's in my builds, as do others.

ZZPerformance does remote tuning, and has a couple YouTube videos on the process. Fiero swaps are super common, so it's not too odd to adjust.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I've got a 1988 Fiero GT with a 3800 SC swap that looks like it's out of a 2004 Chevy Impala SS with an INTENSE Racing PCM. I ordered a HPT MPVI 2 but when I get it what should I use the credit on, 2004 SS, aftermarket PCM, or something else?

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
You'll want to read and pull the file from the pcm (no credits req'd), and it will tell you which car it's from. There's a bunch of How To videos that go step by step on HPT's site and YouTube channels, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but is HP Tuners still the only way to read a 3800 PCM? At this point, all I want to do is read it.
Thank you.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Sadly, it's the only widely available active brand still on the market, short of going full stand-alone (Holley, FuelTech, Haltech, etc.) for 3-4x the cost and lots of customizing for wiring that requires thorough understanding of the engine sensors for ignition, etc.

If you know an old timer (in 3800 terms) who still has a DHP PowrTuner, that also does it. There's a couple much less popular brands, such as TunerCat, Jet dynamic, etc. but very niche market with less info out there for beginners.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Your best bet for a GOOD PCM TUNE UP would be Dyno Tune Motor Sports. Brian Turner is the guy who can do the BEST. I had mine done by Dyno Brian(sent it to him via ups/mail) and the results were MOST ECELLENT!! Your best choice by far. Everything worked 100% wonderful! Jake Lesnick (Mr Good wrench). You will need to give him all the details of your car for great results..... this info..... PS, this is your best choice!! If I remember correctly, he is located in OHIO. Look up dyno tune motor sports for details and address. You will not be disappointed! Jake(mr good wrench).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts