3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've done extensive testing on every brand and type of spark plug we can fit into our cylinder heads. Boiled down, two main findings stand out. First, colder spark plugs do seem to help control Knock Retard. And second, cut back ground electrodes help to produce a few more horsepower.

All the platinum, gold, iridium and other expensive metals make no measurable difference on the dyno or at the race track.

Scott

·
Registered
168 Posts
could you do the village idiot i.e. me what exactly the back ground electrodes are and exactly what I do to get more HP.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
The only real advantage to "precious metal" tips is plug longevity. They tend to keep a sharp edge longer than copper or other standard plugs, and a sharp edge generates a spark at a lower voltage. My question to you is this: with a standard plug, 2 ranges colder than stock, and the typical mods, 3.4, CAI and exhaust, how long does the standard colder plug last before fouling, given typical driving habits?

·
Registered
538 Posts
PacerSS said:
could you do the village idiot i.e. me what exactly the back ground electrodes are and exactly what I do to get more HP.
Autolite makes these pre-made and are called thier racing series.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anything but platinum

In every magazine I've read from pontiac enthusiast, to GM high tech, motor trend, Muslce Mustangs and Fast Fords, Mopar, all of them say when running boosted cars to use standard copper, or iridium plugs because platinum holds more heat scientificaly, because it is a stronger metal. This added ectra held heat is what are cars need to get rid of.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Those so called 'precious metal' plugs are great for women who do nothing but, haul the kids to soccer practice and jounts around town. They usually out last the car. And start, with everything a stock settings, fine. But, for performance minded cars with HP upgrades, copper is the way to go.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree, copper is a better choice for the track, especialy since you will want to change the plugs more often and the cost diference...

I like the double platnums for the daily driver though, and they're fine for an occational run at the track too. Not only for the longevity of the plug itself, but so you dont have to f*** with the plug wires.
Plug wires can be pretty problematic on these cars as it is, manhandeling them on a semi-regular basis needlessly just increases the likelyhood of plug wire related problems... bad news for the daily driver.

Just my .02 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts