3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Olds Intrigue with Series II 3800. When I start it up, I feel a pronounced movement from the engine... like a bounce or jump. This happens ONLY while cranking and stops once the starter disengages. When engine is running everything seems ok. I replaced the 2 upper mounts with the ZZP poly mounts. That helped some but the engine still tries to "jump" while cranking... the movement is less but the feel is harsher now. Just does not seem right. I have never had any car do this before.

Do you guys think it could be the lower mounts?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you think it is possible that these mounts would cause a popping sound during initial acceleration. I sometimes hear a popping sound when I first start to accelerate, but I believe it is directly linked to the load I put on it during acceleration. If I accelerate easily, it will usually not pop at all, but the minute I move past 1/4 pedal there is one small pop, usually only will happen in 1st gear too, If I let it get to second then give it half the pedal no pop. Do you think these could be causing my mysterious noise???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the conclusion I've come to... since I am still getting engine movement after replacing the upper mounts, I'm going to replace the lower mounts just to eliminate that possibility. I don;t know what else it could be, especially since the lowers are known to go bad. A local shop quoted me $435 parts & labor. I can get parts online for about $165 and do the work myself (I think). Down side is it sounds like a labor intensive job.

Steve
98 Intrigue

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read your write up on changing the lower mounts. Doesn't sound too bad but jacking the engine up sounds like it could be a bit hairy. I see you used NAPA mounts... is there a difference between them and GM parts? I'd rather use the best ones cuz I'm only gonna do this job once! :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Napa mounts are basicly a GM replacement. They make a direct replacment and they also make a firmer solid mount. Those are the ones I got. You will get more vibration from them but they are SOLID!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Merc said:
Napa mounts are basicly a GM replacement. They make a direct replacment and they also make a firmer solid mount. Those are the ones I got. You will get more vibration from them but they are SOLID!
Hey Merc,

So which mounts did you go with? The solid or the hydraulic from napa, because in your other thread you posted.

Merc said:
I replaced my mounts with the ones NAPA sells. They are the hydrolic mounts. Very solid!
Just curious because I was going to replace mine here with my engine swap. Oh yeah ignore your spelling error :p .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't speak for Merc, but I went w/solid rubber NAPA mounts. I hate doing jobs twice and I figured if hydraulic mount failed once it would fail again. I did not notice any increased vibration with the solid rubber mount.

Hey I went to your web page... where did you get that aluminum upper intake?
Never seen one before.

Steve

·
Registered
104 Posts
GOIA said:
Can't speak for Merc, but I went w/solid rubber NAPA mounts. I hate doing jobs twice and I figured if hydraulic mount failed once it would fail again. I did not notice any increased vibration with the solid rubber mount.

Hey I went to your web page... where did you get that aluminum upper intake?
Never seen one before.

Steve
That is the L26 upper intake from the new NA 3800 in the 04 gpgt's.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
139 Posts
if your going to take them out yourself why not make them polyurathane? that will definitly get rid of your engine movement...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.