3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I recently purchased an Impala with a blown series II in it. Now, my original plan was to go and get another n/a engine from the junkyard and swap that in but, I was wondering how much more complicated it would be to drop a s/c in. What would be required? I planned on grabbing the engine, transmission, harness but, what would I need as far as the ecm/pcm goes. Would everything be a direct bolt up and plug and play? I was hoping I wouldn't need to get anything flashed as I don't have the means necessary or know anyone capable.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its not overly complicated as far as full on swaps go. You seem to be going in the right direction. I'm not sure if the PCM would be a direct swap over even though you are swapping to the 4t65-HD trans. You could even stay with your trans which has shorter gearing and just get the HD diff. I personally would get the zzperformance re-programmed pcm to be on the safe side. They have different options available for all sorts of swaps which would fit what your trying to accomplish https://zzperformance.com/collections/3800/products/zzp-1-0-pcm

I would also make sure to grab the passenger side axle (or get a new one meant for the HD trans) as its a different length

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
It'd cost almost as much as the engine to get it tuned to work, etc. (thru a shop like ZZP or buying HPT yourself). For a quick job, I'd suggest getting the N/A replacement and window shopping for a while to see what's involved in going any further. This way, the car is on the road and you've had a little time to get familiar with the 3800 overall, but you're not stuck in a project that's going to sink time & money as you hit each bump in the road to getting the S/C version to handshake.

I'd normally be in favor of saying go for it, and offering the general info like digital above... even encouraging the idea of doing a topswap and some upgrades while in there... But there's been a trend lately of folks getting ahold of these cars for very cheap, seeing the mods/swaps that are out there, and winding up with a headache instead of a running car due to lack of planning/information.

Feel free to read up on some previous posts about various work done, and shop around for what the parts, gaskets, bolts, fluids, etc. are involved in any path you consider. There's tons of forum and YouTube videos showing the nuts and bolts of different approaches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts