3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an extra stock airbox for my 99 gtp i obtained off of ebay with a drop in k&n for 20 bucks. ;) i was wondering if anybody has done any customizing to the stock air box? if so what? and has anyone achieved routing some tubing to the front bumber for a generic ram air. college boy with a nice car trying mod for cheap as possible. whats everyones imput

thanks
byron

99 gtp

·
Registered
124 Posts
one of the local members in STCGP has told me there was a way to "break" the stock airbox in certain locations so that a 7" K&N would fit inside the box. Someone also took some dryer hose and cut a hole in the stock box and ran the hose to the fenderwell to suck up that air also. Ill try and see if i can find some instructions on how to fit the K&N in there if you want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I gutted my air box and put a 7in KN inside and run 3in. flx pipe to the air box from the front fender. Thought that was good till i went to a 4in pvc intake and what a differents it made. The box was holding back power not sure why but not as good just my 2% wreath.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Tried it in several configurations, and it just doesn't work well. A lot of it has to do with the stock f-duct. A good smooth flow to the TB really helps power. Take your cone filter, and put it right on the TB horn. You'll get more power that way (in the winter anyway). A good FWI or CAI with a smooth bellows, or a silicone coupler will be much better. Try and give at least a good 6" straight shot to the TB. The stock air box also gets really hot due to it's mass and location. Mine was wrapped in so much thermal stuff it looked like I got it from NASA, but I still couldn't keep it cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took out the air box, cut the bottom part of the air box off (where it originally snaps to the car) and placed a bracket over the PCM. That way, it is out of the way and the 7" K&N cone fits over top of it.

I'll try to get pictures of it if I can.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i finally gutted my air box and put in a k&n. i also now have a 4in piece of pvc in the side of it which i am hookin up some duct work to drop into the fenderwell. i just have hooked the duct onto it yet. i love it. it now has sort of a whistle when it boosts up. it was a night and day difference.

thanks again

99gtp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.