3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the ZZP gen 1 IC and a custom LS1 TB on my car. I remember on the initial install of the IC there was a step to cut a hole in the top SC gasket for the offset PCV valve hole in the IC. On my rebuilds I've removed and replaced the SC and IC a number of times. I believe I've forgotten that step. I noticed that it seems like excessive oil is getting up in my breather(s) and dripping on my headers or getting blown around the engine bay.

I had gone to the better breathers and a dual setup to relieve the pressure and help prevent some of this. I guess I'm looking for verification that the gasket not being modified is causing most of the problem. Has anyone else forgotten this step and had excessive oil getting up in the breather?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pope:

If you didnt modify the gasket, your PVC system would be blocked completely pretty much, so there wouldnt be any need for a breather. The breather is only letting air OUT instead of in, you may need it to relieve the crankcase pressure from blowby.

Just pop the SC off and put the new hole in the gasket, problem solved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I still need further clarification on this. Supposedly the gasket mod will allow the PVC to function, but I thought there was significance in running the LS1 for needing the breather. I know the breather is for relieving blow by, but I was wondering if the gasket mod would help prevent some of the crankcase pressure that's causing a lot of the oil coming up into the breather, or if the LS1 make it a moot point.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ok, yea, i wasnt very explanatory there.

The PCV is a cyclic system. The LS1 cuts off the inlet for the PCV so the breather effectively relocates that inlet.

The Intercooler blocks the passage that goes from the rear head, through the IM, IC and into the SC. If you dont modify the gasket, there wont be any suction from the PCV system to make negative pressure in the block.
The only source of crankcase pressure is blow-by,which is forcing oil vapor out the breather, condensing on the filter element, and running down onto your headers.

SO, the only real way to stop it would be to fix the gasket so the PCV works right.

HTH! ;)

Mat

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much for the reply. That's what I was looking for. I wasn't exactly sure how the PCV setup in the blower worked or if it was functional with an LS1. Now maybe I can fix this annoying problem. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts