3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 4th crank sensor in June... They keep burning up and mess up the timing. I suspect the pigtail connector is frying up the sensors... But my mechanic told me that the ICM or ignition coil also have a miss... What could be burning up the crank sensors? 1990 LN3 3800.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Guess I've never run across that issue. When the crank sensor is in place over the reluctor on the harmonic balancer, there should be clearance all the way around the reluctor with no contact to the SENSOR. If your's is hitting/rubbing the sensor, that might be the root of your problems. When I had to deal with the reluctor and sensor, I turn the crank over slowly by hand and make sure none of the segments on the reluctor contact the sensor AT ALL. this could cause an erratic signal or none at all. Take another double/tripple check of these clearances. This could also take the sensor out. Mr Good wrench

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I've never run across that issue. When the crank sensor is in place over the reluctor on the harmonic balancer, there should be clearance all the way around the reluctor with no contact to the SENSOR. If your's is hitting/rubbing the sensor, that might be the root of your problems. When I had to deal with the reluctor and sensor, I turn the crank over slowly by hand and make sure none of the segments on the reluctor contact the sensor AT ALL. this could cause an erratic signal or none at all. Take another double/tripple check of these clearances. This could also take the sensor out. Mr Good wrench
Problem fixed, turned out that all the O Reilly sensors were faulty.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Guess all I can suggest is AUTO ZONE or Orielly. On another note, take a look at amazon.......I have found some screaming deals on that web site........... ALSO, there's always a local dealership...........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts