3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered that my harmonic balancer has failed.I have everything here to repair it including a new crank position sensor.However,the car runs perfectly and the current CPS is a GM part and installed aprox 10 months ago at a dealership.Am I wrong for not installing a new one while balancer is off,or go with a good known part?The new one I have is NOT a factory GM part,whereas the one currently installed is.

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
I've cannot recall a single time I've changed out a crank sensor while an engine was apart for other reasons. They're a pretty stable item 99% of the time, as long as you keep the harness routed right, shroud installed, the ground below the coils clean, and some dielectric grease in the connector.

If it worked fine before changing the balancer due to rubber separating, it should be fine when a new one goes on. In some rare instances, a re-learn procedure is required to make the computer accept the new balancer, but I've never had to in 20yrs of playing musical parts with every version of these engines.

If something does come up in some rare instance, you're just out a $10 bolt and 30min of work to deal with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice.I felt the same.Others said I was nuts to pull balancer without replacing.Just reinstalled new balancer,took noise out of front of engine altogether.Bout an hr start to finish.Ft seal dry as a bone,so wiped snout of new balancer with a light coat of oil and reinstalled.Thank you again. Sortaslow

1 - 3 of 3 Posts