3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooling Fans Running Continuously While Engine is Running & Again 2Min After Ign Off?

Hi, I have a issue that got Me stuck. 2005 Chevy Impala 3.8L. I'm having ground sent to the bottom left Pin Socket (that is 85 I believe) On Cooling fan #1 relay while engine is running and again For about 2 Mins after ignition is turned off with DTC Code P0117. I have tested My Coolant Temp Sensor, It's functioning fine, I have 5V Reference at the connector. I have also replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor, that didn't work/solve it, I have checked replaced My MAP Sensor and MAF, basically everything tied to the Temp gauge and ECT, but didn't solve the issue. It's causing the Cooling fans to come on at those times... Is it the PCM or something else sending ground to the Bottom right Pin socket (that's Pin 85, Correct Me if I'm wrong) on Cooling Fan #1 Relay? I don't know what is causing it, Or how to test/diagnose further to find out where the short is coming from.. Can someone please help?
Thanks.

Youtube Vid Link:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I believe the cooling fans stay on for a min or two after engine is shut down. Maybe check the fan staying on issue a few times....one when engine is still cool and one when the engine is still warm/hot. Check the fans under these two different conditions. If they stay on for a while when warm/hot, this is a normal condition. Mr goodwrench

·
Registered
37 Posts
with a stock PCM the fans should not run after key-off. a reprogrammed PCM may keep the fans on for a minute or so. It's not clear from your post if the fans run then shut off.

I'm sure you've replaced the relay or swapped it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
In my experience with cooling fans, they come on when engine/coolant is warm/hot. And they do stay on for a few min after engine shut down. Maybe for a couple of mins or so depending on how hot the engine/coolant is. Jake

·
Registered
129 Posts
like a few others have commented, do you know the history of your impala? any mods done to it prior to you buying it or your pcm/ecu was replaced recently?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts