3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get this coolant smell after driving. The radiator, upper/lower coolant hoses, H²O pump, and the plastic elbows have all been changed (needed to be done anyways). Maybe once a month I'll have to refill the coolant reservoir....maybe an inch below the line. Nothing on the ground. I can't for the life of me find the leak.
Any ideas where else to check??
Thanks

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
So you haven't pulled the intake manifolds (UIM and LIM), yet? That's the most common maintenance/leak issue on these engines (see about 25-50% of all new member posts about issues over the years).

The coolant passages in factory plastic lower intake gaskets are almost guaranteed to fail by now on most 3800's, and the aluminum AC Delco gaskets are the main upgrade that came out in ~2012 to finally address this. Also, the 2 holes to provide a coolant path to the TB for no good reason happen to leak often at the o-rings on top of the LIM, which either need replacing or custom blocking.

Sidenote, if you want to make "H2O" pump look scientific, instead of simply typing "water" pump, I suggest using subscript next time to write the chemical symbol properly, not a superscript.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you haven't pulled the intake manifolds (UIM and LIM), yet? That's the most common maintenance/leak issue on these engines (see about 25-50% of all new member posts about issues over the years).

The coolant passages in factory plastic lower intake gaskets are almost guaranteed to fail by now on most 3800's, and the aluminum AC Delco gaskets are the main upgrade that came out in ~2012 to finally address this. Also, the 2 holes to provide a coolant path to the TB for no good reason happen to leak often at the o-rings on top of the LIM, which either need replacing or custom blocking.

Sidenote, if you want to make "H2O" pump look scientific, instead of simply typing "water" pump, I suggest using subscript next time to write the chemical symbol properly, not a superscript.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about the UIM or the LIM. Is there a how-to write up on this??
And thanks for the sidenote. I know it was done wrong, but I must of long pressed the 2 so I just left it that way. Not trying to be scientific or anything. No need to chew my head off. ;)

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
There's some videos on YouTube and tons of write-ups in the search archives here and elsewhere you should come across. It's been addressed by many over the years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts