3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this GP for about 3 weeks now. I can smell the coolant and notice it pooling up onto the lower engine mount but not enough to drip onto the ground.
New radiator and hoses so that's not the fix (needed the new parts anyways).
Both elbows are metal and not leaking. Last owner must of replaced them.
Looks dry around the water pump.
I don't one where else to look. Any ideas would help.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Sometimes they weep from the pump towards the pulley, but you'll eventually find something on that side of the engine. Shouldn't be too expensive to replace whatever you find.

Reactions: Desertrat81

·
Registered
839 Posts
i dont know if your SC or not, but the lower bolt used to secure the lower stationary SC belt idler pulley goes into a water jacket and may need new sealant applied.

it a block drain on the NA cars, youll see a bolt head in the middle of a large flat iron block area below the wp inlet hose

Reactions: Desertrat81

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont know if your SC or not, but the lower bolt used to secure the lower stationary SC belt idler pulley goes into a water jacket and may need new sealant applied.

it a block drain on the NA cars, youll see a bolt head in the middle of a large flat iron block area below the wp inlet hose
Thanks. It's NA. You think that drain plug will come out pretty easy??

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
It's a stubby 10mm bolt that's only about 1/2" long with some teflon coating for the coolant seal. Should come out with moderate effort, and would just need some thread cleaning and fresh application of teflon tape/paste (your choice). Torque spec isn't too high, low-mid teens if I had to guess, or just base your manual ugga-ugga's on that reference if you don't want to look it up quick.

It replaces one of 3 bolts for pulley #9's stand-off mount in the S/C pulley diagram below, in case James' explanation wasn't clear... (Edited to fix number)

Automotive air manifold Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Font Rim

·
Registered
839 Posts
pulley number 9 ya mean, 8 is on icm bracket. make sure you inspect with a mirror before you yank it out, old dried coolant flow paths are easy to follow up to the leak point

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a stubby 10mm bolt that's only about 1/2" long with some teflon coating for the coolant seal. Should come out with moderate effort, and would just need some thread cleaning and fresh application of teflon tape/paste (your choice). Torque spec isn't too high, low-mid teens if I had to guess, or just base your manual ugga-ugga's on that reference if you don't want to look it up quick.

It replaces one of 3 bolts for pulley #8's stand-off mount in the S/C pulley diagram below, in case James' explanation wasn't clear...

View attachment 11558
So looking here at N/A, where is the drain plug?? Since there's no pulley blocking. Thanks.
Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Machine Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
839 Posts
you can just see the round edge of it behind the belt just above the ac compressor, middle of the large flat area....but look above it for signs the timing cover bolts/gasket above it isnt leaking as it COULD.....ive seen some shity waterpump jobs cause leaks from no sealants being used on the bolts

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
To correct for my # typo above, I indicated his description in your pic using my phone's screenshot tool quick...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

1 - 11 of 11 Posts