3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just got a 1993 Buick Regal limited 3800 with 64,000 miles....yes it was driven just over 2300 miles a year....while I was checking all the fluid levels I noticed the power steering fluid had a greenish glow (appears to be Coolant) so I have done some research and read that the power steering may indeed go through the radiator to cool the fluid and there must be a leak....I bought a aftermarket power steering cooler....but I am really having problems finding/tracking where it connects to the radiator (If at all) does anyone know if this model indeed does connect to the radiator ( if so where) or is there anything else I could do to keep the coolant out of the PS Fluid?

·
Super Moderator
370 Posts
Not sure, the Series 2/3's typically just have some extra steel tubing running near the cradle as a mini-cooler path before connecting the pump and rack. Totally independent/isolated system for our style. I'd chase yours underneath to see if it's similar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a series 1... I did notice there was a line running along the cradle and doubling back...wasnt sure if that was the only line....thought there may be a hidden line possiably coming off the rack and pinion.I just got the car so it is possiable that the wrong fluid was put in there at some point...I was gonna just do a flush but if it was connected to the radiator and was leaking/contaminating my PS fluid it would be a waste of time.

·
Super Moderator
370 Posts
Replacement radiators on RockAuto show transmission and "engine oil" cooler fittings on the radiator as an option for 3.8 '93 Regals. Trace the lines to see where they go.
I think you might be right about someone loading the wrong fluid, which would be annoying but simple.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The greenish colour you’re seeing could just be leak tracer dye, or I have seen some power steering fluids that look greenish to start with. Wynns is one brand in particular that I’ve seen like this. No 3800 powered car I can recall has the possibility of coolant and power steering fluid mixing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I do not see how coolant can possibly get into the power steering system. As pointed out it is a closed independent system. Buy a Turkey baster . The have them at Dollar Tree. Use the baster to suck some fluid out and put it into a small glass bottle. If coolant is in there you will see a distinct separation of fluids and again someone had to mistakenly add it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts