3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the coolant elbow broke off inside the manifold and has dropped back in the coolant passage. I have the manifold off the car, but can't seem to figure out how to get ahold of it and get it out. It broke off right around the rubber washer and fell back, intact so it's whole/round, not just a chunk of it. Any thoughts on how to get this out?

·
Registered
946 Posts
When I get those, I use a good snap ring pliers. A mis sized one would be good.
I insert the pliers inside the tube shell squeeze and turn to get the tube out.

IF IT DOESN'T COME LOOSE, you can go into the plastic tube with a small screwdriver and use a small hamar to cut thru the tube ( be careful to not marre up the coolant hole in the lower intake) . Then you can go into that port with a long needle nose pliers and pick the remains out.

If you loose some of the tube debris in process it really isn't big problem. I've seen this for many years but never an actual problem. If you are concerned, you could BACK FLUSH the cooling system with the thermostat REMOVED to allow more water flow/flushing. Drain and refill...... Jake

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it a shot today. The portion of the tube still being intact concerns me if it would end up sideways in the passage, it could block a good amount of flow since it is free to move around in there. I'll see if I can manage to break it into smaller pieces and then flush it out somehow, if not pick them out w/ a pliers. I did buy the metal ones as a replacement too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it broken apart with a screwdriver and hammer, dug all the little chunks out and flushed it with a hose to make sure nothing was left in there. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Make sure you buy the Aluminum ones made by Dorman so they don't go bad again. You can get them at any major auto parts store.

·
Registered
946 Posts
One other issue I have run into a few times is....... the "O rings" that come with the AFTER MARKET elbows start to leak after a while. The GM original O RINGS last a lot longer. So, when doing that job I would highly recommend using the OEM O RINGS. Best of luck.... Jake

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was lucky when I changed out the 2 plastic elbows . Dug the pieces out and put the metal ones in .

What genius figured out it was a good idea to use plastic ?

Wyr
God bless

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
Please explain.

What aluminum piece?... The piece if a 96-98 alternator bracket coolant elbow? An end of an aluminum elbow broken at the o-ring?

Where did it fall into the intake... Deeper into coolant passage on the side? Into the too air valley of the intake manifold? Into the intake tube over by the throttle?

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
You should be able to use a 90-degree pick to dig it back out. ($3 sets from stores like Harbor freight). Might have to pull the intake plenum and manifold to fish it out (L36/L26 engine?). Not sure if a ShopVac would draw it closer to the port to fish it out on the engine.

Updated below with pics of a non-supercharged (L36/L26) lower intake manifold to show the coolant passage you're dealing with, but my supercharged (L67/L32) one is still installed on my spare engine. There's plenty of pics around the web of s/c LIM's, if you want to see what you're dealing with on that.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts

(cracked-off part is why this is no longer in-use)

(top is the elbow port, side paths to each cylinder head, and bottom to thermostat and throttle body)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts