3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To begin:
This is a 2500 pound car with L67 - 2002 Bonnie short block and tb, 04 GP heads manifold and blower. 98 Regal GS trans and ECM, tweaked by Intense to ignore VATS and after cat sensor.
The beast runs pretty well, the speedo is spot on, and the trans shifts ok, but-
the converter doesn't lock up until there's a bit too much throttle for steady cruise. I give enough throttle to get up to speed (65-75) and the converter locks. The car then keeps accelerating - will happily go 80 + at minimum throttle to keep converter locked.
Ease off the gas to maintain speed, the converter unlocks and the car slows down.
Bother...
I will try modding the tps sensor so I can adjust it. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Not sure if this applies to you issue or not........ However, take a close look at the TPS sensor mounting screws and see if there's any room to loosen the screws and rotate the tps enough to get more signal back to the pcm. This might help the lock up timing. Also, if you have access to a good scanner, try looking at the TPS numbers while pushing the throttle. The tps voltage should move up and down with throttle movement. If you don't see the tps numbers changing with throttle, the tps might be bad. When you find the culprit, get back to us. This may help others that run into similar issues. Jake

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lockup timing

Shall do, thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
converteer lockup timing - tps adjustment

The tps isn't amenable to slotting its screw holes - but look inside - can bend the tab that rides against the throttle shaft/pin - so that will adjust the tps position relative to the throttle shaft..
And with all the other pissing around, I haven't really tested it out properly. Too much traffic on the day I took it out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
converter lockup timing - tps adjustment

I took it our on the freeway a couple of days ago, and the converter lockup situation is improved. I'd really prefer it stay locked until the throttle goes almost to zero, but there may not be enough "adjustment" in the tab to give me that.
I have not looked at the voltages on it, I guess that's the next step.
Cheers
Jay

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just a wild thought about the convertor thing...

There is most likely a PRESSURE CONTROL VALVE in the valve body. There is probably a way(I don't know for sure) to modifly that valve.....maybe by changing some of the springs the the valve body that could increase and decrease trans pressure control valve..... Just a wild guess.

May be a good idea to check with a few local trans shops and get their take be pro or con. Jake

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought that lockup timing is strictly by the computer - pressure control may affect how it engages, but not when?

Right now it is semi-ok. The security torqx bit to remove the tps went hiding, but I found it again, and I may tweak the tps a bit more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts