3800Pro Forums banner

Cold Engines Negatives

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  SLEEPGTP 
#1 ·
What are the negatives of running a cold engine? I know we want to keep the intake temps. down, especially on a sc vehicle. But what are the negatives of running the engine cold? I had a 160' stat in my car at one point this summer but it kept triggering a check engine light and the temp. gauge wouldn't move. I put the 180' back in and have kept it in ever since. I live in NJ and the weather is starting to get cold so the 180's staying in. As for next spring I might put the 160' in. But isnt it bad for the engine to be constantly ran cold? I'm not talking just for the track, this is a daily driver and I don't want problems.

Thanks

PS: I have a csc incase you need to know

#2 ·
Worse gas milage, chance of resetting check engine light. Not transitioning to closed loop, condensing moisture inside the enging block, more engine wear from parts not expanding like engineered.

#3 ·
^^^ all of the above except the engine will transition to closed loop on its own after 600 seconds but if you have a '99+ you will set an SES.

I'd only run a 160 if I needed to. If you can't control KR with a 180 tstat, other mods, and tuning then you are probably running too small a pulley to begin with.

#5 ·
Well I don't know about the gtp's but my 2000 MCSS set a check engine light with the 160'. With the 180' everything seems to be fine. I have little to no kr and my car stays pretty cool. I took it on a 3 hour trip down the shore in 90' August temps. with traffic and some 100mph runs...shhh :D, and it barely went past half way on the gauge. I was just curious as to what kind of damage a cold engine can have and if the 160' is any better than the 180'. Thanks for all the info guys.

#7 ·
A 160 thermostat should not promote any increased wear or adverse fueling conditions. 160 is acceptable for daily driving.

The main reason that your motor is set to run so hot is for emissions concerns. With the 160 the mixture will be a little richer, therfore increasing emissions. The 3800 is a very emissions friendly motor as it is, so you have no worries.

In the winter I reccomend you switch to a 180 for heaters sake. Your heat will be a little cooler with a 160, which would drive me up the damn wall. I hate being cold.

Goodluck.

--Chris

#8 ·
Just to throw my $0.02, I have the 160* thermostat and cooling fans set at 165 and 170 degrees. My engine temps are between 162 and 170 degrees year round and the heat in the winter was sufficient. I was thinking about setting the fans a little higher, but there was no need. About the gas mileage- I am still tweaking. However, I didn't notice any moisture at all. So, that's my case :)

#9 ·
I think the SES code is a P0428 which simply means the computer recognizes that the engine didnt reach sufficient operating temperature within a preset given amount of time. Doesnt hurt your engine to run colder than what the computer wants. Like Chris said, that is an emission thing that none of us really care about, ;) even though we should ;) I ran a 160 and raced every weekend, never allowing my computer to go to closed loop before a race, using my fans and icing down blower in between races.

#10 ·
Strange 180 + Intense stg1 PCM = ses light

I am not sure how you would explain this, but I am setting a SES light with a 180d therm and an Intense stage-1 PCM.
I brought the car to AutoZone several times and the results are the same. the error code-"engine operating below its regulated temp". I have tried to let the car warm up before I drive but no sooner than later the SES code get lodged again.

I also notice that my fans come on immediately after I turn the car on. As far as I know the fans are set to come on when the coolant temp reached 180d. Well the coolant temps can't be 180 after the car sat all night.

What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.