3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem ive had for some time. I have the very top coil pack with the top terminal stud corroded, and I also have the very bottem coil pack with the upper terminal stud corroded. The middle coil pack is fine. These are stock 02" coil packs on a 02"GTP. I recently (month half ago) had a brand new ICM harness put on becasue the other one got to close to a pulley. At that time I was using the MSD replacement coil packs, (which had the same 2 terminals corroded). With the MSD packs I was throwing a 5 volt circuit code (cant remember which one), and the car had a miss once in awhile, (very small miss). Right now the car has no miss and hasnt thrown any codes to set the ses light yet, and none that are pending when I last checked. The plug wires are PRJ's that have only got about 5,000 miles on them. They looked good inside & out. I just changed the plugs last night to start with the easiest explanations for this. The old plugs looked tan, couple looked a little whitish. I have Ed sending me an ICM module this week and I will try that.
Im wondering if the ICM harness that got grounded out, somehow effected something inside the ICM module causing it to malefunction on 2 of the coil packs. Just a guess, but can it somehow leak electrical current to the non firing coil packs to cause this, or not fire correctly? The car goes like a raped ape still, Hasn't misfired yet). I also put dielectric grease on the ceramic part of the plugs as a moisture barrier and to remove them easier, I was wondering if that could effect the coil packs if to much got on after time and got on the top of the spark plug where it snaps in place to the boot?
Thanks for the replys,
-Scott

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After about the 4th page in with Google I come across my VERY old thread LOL. Still have the same problem. Anyone else have it too? (Still same terminals)

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I have found corroded terminals to be very common on these packs. The solution I use is to ensure they have a good helping of electrical grease with each removal/reconnection. Seems to do the trick and has cut down on the amount of coils I seem to chew through.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In 4 years Iv'e tried about everything. I'm replacing the coil packs/ICM, wires and plugs this weekend, and I'll just leave it at that. Its just more of an annoyance than anything.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I just bought a 00 SC Park Ave Ultra and the first HV tower on the first 2 coils only are rusted badly. I cleaned up with emery cloth, but still they are not very clean connections. It did rust the plug wires up some too, so they will probably get replaced too....

Am I better off replacing the coils or try to clean them up further?

My 91 Bonneville 3800 had a problem and I cleaned it up with the wire brush on my dremel and the terminal wouldn't stay on after that.

Are the aftermarket coils worth much? I am not running modified (yet....). But I smell a pulley in the near future....

The stock ignition is pretty decent design isn't it? triple coils means good solid saturation time and that would mean good voltage/current @ higher rpms

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
C3I coils

Guys, be careful with those corroded H.V. terminals. Repairing cars for a living, I've found that most of the time there is corrosion there, the coil is defective. You can test it with an ohmmeter, all three coils should measure about the same.
Don't forget to do as Bill recommended - use dielectric, if for no other reason just so that you can get the wires off the plugs and coils without destroying them later.:)

·
Registered
935 Posts
You can test it with an ohmmeter, all three coils should measure about the same.
A stock Series 2 coil should measure 0.5 – 0.9 Ohms on the Primaries (terminals on the bottom of the coil) & 5k-8k Ohms on the Secondary’s (the two large prongs on top)

Are the aftermarket coils worth much? I am not running modified (yet....). But I smell a pulley in the near future....

The stock ignition is pretty decent design isn't it? triple coils means good solid saturation time and that would mean good voltage/current @ higher rpms

The stock Series 2 coils are pretty good and don’t need to be upgraded even with some serious engine modifications. Although I tossed the MSD coils on my car I thought I felt slightly better throttle response. Are the MSD or Accel coils needed no but they won’t hurt IMO.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.