3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight i noticed that I now get a clunk in my steering when I turn the wheel left of center; nothing right at the moment. I moved the steering wheel while parked to rule out any road/moving issues and the clunk continued. I had the steering recall down a few yrs back, but does this sound like the Intermediate Steering Shaft issue? If so should I probably just have it replaced for safety concerns? Any ideas on the cost from a dealer off the top of your heads?

The car is an 01 GTP w/99K miles and stock suspension. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
First off, can you point me to info on the recall, I can't find any info on that anywhere?

I have been having similar issues lately and mine feels similar to when the control arm bushing went bad in the past, but I also have play in the steering. If I lift the car, I can move the Lft Frt wheel at the 9&3 o'clock positions. It looks like the play is in the rack or inner tie rods.

This is on my '02 GT

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
First off, can you point me to info on the recall, I can't find any info on that anywhere?

I have been having similar issues lately and mine feels similar to when the control arm bushing went bad in the past, but I also have play in the steering. If I lift the car, I can move the Lft Frt wheel at the 9&3 o'clock positions. It looks like the play is in the rack or inner tie rods.

This is on my '02 GT
It isn't a recall. It's a TSB. You shouldn't have to replace the intermediate shaft. Just repack it with the recommended grease as GM recommends and you'll be good for another couple of years. A new shaft won't be any different. They all start making noise and clunking after a while. The grease really does help and it isn't very hard to do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It isn't a recall. It's a TSB. You shouldn't have to replace the intermediate shaft. Just repack it with the recommended grease as GM recommends and you'll be good for another couple of years. A new shaft won't be any different. They all start making noise and clunking after a while. The grease really does help and it isn't very hard to do.
any gp that came in with this problem at the dealership got a replacement steering shaft, to my knowledge they arent serviceable.
fastech do you have any more information on greasing these?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
any gp that came in with this problem at the dealership got a replacement steering shaft, to my knowledge they arent serviceable.
fastech do you have any more information on greasing these?
Found it!
I don't have the TSB number but it can be found on Alldata. Just use 2005 Grand Prix Steering Clunk to do a search.

I have the last 4 of the 7 sheets of the TSB. The part number of the repair kit (a rubber plug, one tube of grease, and instructions) is: P/N 26098237 - Steering Column Shaft Lube Kit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was thinking they initially were all supposed to get replacement shafts, but do to supply being back ordered (all W bodies) and the fact that a new shaft would eventually do the same thing, they defaulted to a grease job.

The other night the clunk happened every time, but since I've only heard it once. If it every does this on a consistent basis, then maybe I'll be able to figure it out. My just have just have the shaft lubed to try and rule it out anyways.

dayday,
I've never had a control arm bushing go bad; thus, can't tell you if it feels like that. I have a little play in my wheels, but my play is caused by wheel bearing issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts