3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been slowly degreasing & cleaning my engine piece by piece, and I was wondering if it was okay to spray engine degreaser and carb cleaner on the rotors/housing. I know I've heard there is some type of coating on the rotors, and I was wondering if trying to degrease the inside of it w/ such harsh cleaners would remove the coating. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wouldn't use anything strong on the rotors the coating is pretty fragile especally after it's got some miles on it. I have used citrus based degresers on them before though. Depending on the milage you may not have enough coating left on the rotors anyway.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is simple green considered a harsh degreaser? I figure maybe I could do that 1:1 w/ water, would that hurt the rotors?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would just clean the housing and leave the rotors alone. Nothing will be gained from cleaning the rotors anyway. If anything just wipe the rotors off with a water mostened rag if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
784 Posts
On the rotors dish soap will work as well as anything and is relativly harmless. The inside of those SC get nasty don't they? Especially if you get carried away with the air filter oil when you clean your air filter.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up disassembling it all and just cleaning the housing like seen96 said, got that thing nearly spotless inside. The rotors don't seem to come clean w/ mild persuasion so I think I'll just leave them, I'd hate to mess them up at all. There was really a ton of buildup in the intake side, just wanted to get that crap all cleaned out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats all I did....I used TB and Brake cleaners on the inside of the housing. and just left the rotors alone.....its critical to not create a scratch or any openings for the air to blow between the rotors.
While its apart, check the inside housing to make sure their's no deep scratchs in the housing. (deep as in catching your finger nail).

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I rebuilt my snout and swapped the WPI ported case, I just wiped the EGR and PCV residue (oily soot) off the rotors with a clean, dry shop rag... no chemicals.
I didn't get them spotless, but at least I didnt f*up the coating.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nicks and gouges aren't the end of the world. Everything will still work but, it takes a shoot on the effic. Not by much though. The coating on the rotors missing is worse.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Small nick, probably not.
If I were you, I would make sure it was all below the surface. If its sticking up it could mess up the case or other rotors (if it hasnt already)
You could work it very carefuly with an exacto-blade or something intill it is smooth with the surface.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts