3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know I probably shouldn't have bought a short tube intake off of Ebay from ChromeIntakes:icon_cry:. I thought it would be a cheap investment for quick performance. Which it was!:) I noticed one thing real quick. Because it is a short tube off the intake directly sucking from the engine bay my engine temp went up slightly:icon_frow. I have a 180 thermostat in the car now. I decided to go to Ace Harware and pick up a piece of 3" thin wall pvc and coupler to extend the tube as well as a $5 gray tote for my "box." I never knew how well I could "whittle" plastic until this past weekend. Took a while to shape it how I needed it. Needless to say, it lowered my engine temps and helped the intake grab more ambient air! I think I'm happy with my $90 intake.:icon_surp

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
not bad at all lol see if you cant make a lid for it to completly seal it off from the engine bay once i made a lid for mine it made a big diff

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Put a piece of acrylic on it and sell it for $200. Call it the Schwizaired.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I could take a trip back to the Ace Store to by some plexi glass and a knife.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
there you go lol its not about how pretty it looks but how good it works ;)

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
This much cannot be stressed enough! Looks isn't everything. look at most all out race cars that aren't done by a racing team.

You did a good job, if you can seal it off so much the better. But reality is once moving you are good with seeing ambient temps anyway, so from a roll, you are just as fast as any car with a CAI that is sealed. You would be surprised how much the engine compartment cools once you have been driving for even a few seconds.

there you go lol its not about how pretty it looks but how good it works ;)

·
Registered
4,344 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The better the seal the better, when I moved from my CAI to a FWI I noticed it pulls harder and rolls into the throttle snappier. (Not to mention I got most of the supercharger whine back I lost to exhaust tones lol)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
now thats thinking with your dipstick, jimmie !!!! i love do it yourself work! built to go not for show!:icon_lol:
I doooo use Castrol Full Synthetic Oil in my car!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts