3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my cat's going bad , the one on my car i mean

anyone know what it costs roughly to have one installed ? and how much a high flow catco cat vs an average cat cost ?

thanks fellas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Magnaflow high flow cats are about $60 plus instalation.

Cheers,

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yup, I agree with ^^^.
I bought my 2.5" high flow Magnaflow/Carsound cat off ebay for $55 and for another $20 had it installed (or if you have a hack saw and and some pipe adapters and some clamps you can do it yourself in less than 60-90 minutes (for beginner times).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cat Converter Cost ?

Something to think about is the warranty on the original cat converter. 8 years or 80,000 miles which ever comes first for Federal vehicles. Of course this will only apply if your vehicle can pass for streetable and you will get no performance benefit over what you had with the factory exhaust system.
Something to consider with the aftermarket Hi-flo cats. A picture in one of the suppliers catalogs shows what is know as a "clamshell" style shell converter. I ordered one of these and to my disappointment the downpipe contained a metallic style round converter that I was familiar with because of the work I do. In testing I have personally performed, the metallic converter was subject to "foil foldover" on the front face, as mileage accumulates, resulting in a gradual increase in backpressure. The metallic was also subject to "telescoping", a failure caused by rapid heating/cooling of the core causing fatigue at the points where the fold is brazed to the mantle(can). Another consideration - Metallics typically do not like vibration. My application was a manifold mount - more severe duty than the takedown mount on W cars. There are different foil designs and braze patterns available that can address some of these problems, but development and testing is required. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
187 Posts
ww.ebay.com :eek: Sorry I just had to :D

Or you could get a peice of strait pipe for 5 bucks and a O2 sim for about 35 or 40 bucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
spd98 said:
ww.ebay.com :eek: Sorry I just had to :D

Or you could get a peice of strait pipe for 5 bucks and a O2 sim for about 35 or 40 bucks.
smart ass :cool: , lol. I meant to the page. I already have a 3" DP w/ no cat and i am wanting a high flow cat for emissions. I saw a page for cats but it had some air-air things on there and such. Just looking for the direct link to the page that dayday got it from. Hook an ohioan up :)

edit:
is this the page

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7928497819&category=33629

what about the With or without the air tube (If not specified "no" air tube will be sent?

·
Registered
104 Posts
mattmcss said:
I think my cat's going bad , the one on my car i mean

anyone know what it costs roughly to have one installed ? and how much a high flow catco cat vs an average cat cost ?

thanks fellas
Go check out www.mncgp.com forum in the meeting/mod day section, there is a exhaust mod day going on in Alexandria on November 20th, custom exhaust work at great prices.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
gt4me said:
got a link?
Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. But no, it was about 6 months ago. 3'' in and out no O2 or air tube.

Keep looking around and you will find one at a decent price. The $170 or so SLP wants is rediculous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts