3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After recently solving a fueling problem I had, I am looking for a product to "clean" out the engine of the residues (BAD carbon build up). Some say just injector cleaner in the gas, but I dont think this will do what I need.

What about an Injector Flush? Maybe something to spray directly into the throttle body?

Anything's appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
I haven't tried the Sea foam, but many people have had good results with it. I can confidently reccomend one of the "gas additives"...Chevron Techron. Add one can to a tankful, and do it for 2 consecutive tankfuls. It will clean everything whistle clean. After it's run through the system, change the oil, and you can start re-tuning the fuel. Don't try to tune with the Chevron in, the car will get more knock than with premium (can't explain that though, other than it may lower the octane).
I had bad carbon build up on a previous car that I found when gasket matching the intake manifold. There was carbon on the intake valves up to 1/2" thick! I put it back together, and ran the Chevron, took off the intake and it was completely clean. On the GTP, I've been dumping in a can before each oil change, at 80,000 miles I had the injectors flowed. They checked out within 1% of each other right off the car before professional cleaning. If you use the Chevron, they make 2 different kinds. Use the one that has the intake valve cleaner in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try GM Top Engine cleaner(or Seafoam with the same method). 50% into the PCV 50% into a vacuum line. I'm too lazy to type out all the direction but they are on the can. It will get very smoky!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I tend to agree more with what Ron wrote. Persoonaly, I run a bottle of premium fuel injector cleaner right before I change the oil. I'll sometimes run it with less than half a tank of gas for a day or so, than pump a 1/4 tank or so on top of it... a little more concentrated cleaning that way.

I've also heard good things about the sea foam cleaner, but I've never tried it. I believe its similar to a product boaters use on there large 2-cycle engines...
I've also heard some people have had mixed results with the stuff. From what I've gathered your best bet is to plan on an oil change right after you do it, as well as the spark plugs... as smellbird mentioned, things will get very smoky.
Worst case could be that you pump so much carbon into your exhaust at once it is overwhelmed. I've read posts of a few needing new oxygen sensors shortly after they do the sea foam. I suppose it doesn't do your CAT much good either.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy,

Here are part #'s for the G.M. cleaners that are used for Northstar engines which are notorious for carbon buildup, and oil consumption.

Kit:12378545
Piston and ring cleaner: 12378549 (2 in kit).
T.B. cleaner: 12378550 (1 in kit).
Induction cleaner: 12378552 (1 in kit).

I am not positive that these are available separately. If not, you will find yourself using all as it kicks ass!!!

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
467 Posts
FYI, the GM cleaner you pour in the tank is Chevron Techron...They relabeled it, but didn't even change the bottle it comes in. I verified with my dealer on this.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I took Ron's advice since I'm about due...
Pep Boys carrys the Techron products, the injector cleaner/valve cleaner was $5 and some change... I can't imagine my valves are very dirty since I just rebuilt the heads 10k miles ago, but I'd like to keep them that way. ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Jack44 said:
..and for anyone who has a COSTCO nearby, they have a 4-pack of Techron for 9 dollars and change...
As Ron mentioned, the Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner and the Injector and Intake Valve Cleaner are not the same. As I recall the one with intake valve cleaner cost a little more...
There are actualy 4 Cheveron Pro Gaurd products ...Pep boys carried all 4.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl/auto/content/fueladd.shtm#progard

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have tried the sea foam and will reconmend it to anybody wanting to get better fuel mileage, throttle response, or interior engine cleaning. I used the sea foam inconjuction with a tune up and could feel the difference right away.
:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will also recommend SeaFoam. I've used it to clean my engine but didn't see too much smoke from it but my car wasn't too happy running after that so I just take it out for a good run afterwards and it makes a big difference. I have done it to an older car and it totally removed misses instead of replacing spark plugs.

I've also used it to clean the transmission right before a flush. I have flushed without SeaFoam and saw moderate clutch material and so on, normal for a car with 50k. I just recently added SeaFoam Trans Tune before having it flushed. I ran it with it in for about 25 miles and then had it flushed. All I know is that I had a rediculous amount clutch material come out. So that either means it really works or I have a problem. I'm hoping for the first since I just did it at 65k. So SeaFoam recommended in both places. Car is working great! Shifts like it just came off the line!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I to used the trans tune and had what seemed like a huge amount of clutch residue (grey gunk) at the bottom of the tran pan. I didnot do a flush though. Just a new filter and 8 quarts of trans fuild and a bottle of lucus trans lube. Lucus product are the shizznit. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
i read in this thread that if i use techron, i might have to change my spark plugs? are you shi**ing me? i would really hate to have to chage those fockers in 12* chi town weather and i just add some techron. little input please.

·
Registered
441 Posts
grandpricks98 said:
i read in this thread that if i use techron, i might have to change my spark plugs? are you shi**ing me? i would really hate to have to chage those fockers in 12* chi town weather and i just add some techron. little input please.
I think you got it wrong.
Sea-foam injected into a vacuum port is the one that makes the car smoke so bad and fouls plugs and o2 sensors...

A bottle of Techron in the gas tank is the safe way to go.

·
Banned
165 Posts
I used Sea Foam in my F250. Holy ****, it smoked like the engine was going to explode! It felt much better after all of that crap was through, however. I think it was worth it.

I run a bottle of Techron in every 8-10th gas tank in my truck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
MikeGS said:
I think you got it wrong.
Sea-foam injected into a vacuum port is the one that makes the car smoke so bad and fouls plugs and o2 sensors...

A bottle of Techron in the gas tank is the safe way to go.
ok, i am not that smart. which is the vacuum port? do you have a pic? i know there is two "t"' mon the blower, which one so i put that **** in?

·
Registered
125 Posts
grandpricks98 said:
ok, i am not that smart. which is the vacuum port? do you have a pic? i know there is two "t"' mon the blower, which one so i put that **** in?
I have the same question.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ttt

Can someone please post a pic of the vacuum line you use?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.