3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 97 Grand Prix GTP as a project car and I'm suddenly having flooding issues. New plugs, wires, coils, alternator, supercharger, water pump and pulleys and all worked fine initially. Started the car 20+ times with no problems then suddenly it started running rough and died. Started and ran for a bit then died and wouldn't start. Pulled some plugs and they are swimming in gas. Thought it might be the crank position sensor messing up timing so I changed that and the car started right up but then died and I am again having flooding issues. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sounds like it could be an injector problem, is it all the cylinders or just one or two?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You could use a screwdriver or stethoscope to listen for solenoid clicking to ensure the injectors are pulsing, also might be handy to have a noid light to check computer operation

·
Registered
849 Posts
You need to check the fuel pressure and make sure the regulator is not leaking. If the fuel pressure does not hold within a few lbs after key off, it's leaking. Injector or regulator can this problem but are you sure about good spark at all cyls? No spark will make "wet plugs" also.

Hope this helps, Jake L.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Do you still have cats?
Turn key to "ON" position,then push the pedal all the way to the floor and attempt to start.
That will shut off the injectors while starting,called "clear flood" mode.
Try to start till it fires off,then let off pedal and attempt to start normally and see what happens.

*warning-if you have an injector sticking open and spraying fuel it could start up on you even in clear flood mode-so be ready to let off that pedal if it does.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Whats up with all of the Spammers?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It's not spammers. They're bots and they're built specifically to target forums and are very clever these days. They just get more and more refined over time and don't start from scratch anymore.

Now onto the flooding. A bad fuel pump would get fuel into the cylinders but now have the pressure required to atomize the fuel through the injectors. It would puddle up in the cylinders as a liquid and eventually cause hydro lock.

That would also explain how it ran fine ran fine ran fine then BAM. Check your pump. It's a VERY common issue with any W-Body.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I cannot see the correlation between a fuel pump and cylinder specific flooding. I have seen bad fuel pressure regulators flood multiple cylinders.
IMO you may have a couple of injectors stuck open and drowning the suspect cylinders. Fuel supply doesn't seem to be the issue. Injectors constantly open, inadvertently grounded, or being pulsed by pcm can cause this issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts