3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tranny went today. Tried every gear.. Just revs. What broke?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am in no way a tranny expert, but that is what mind did when it went out, and it was the torque converter. :(

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Assuming your tranny is all stock, I can think of four possibilities. Here they are in order of likelihood, along with the official betting odds for each:

1) input shaft - 2:1
2) input sprag - 5:1
3) torque converter - 6:1
4) drive chain - 12:1

The input shaft most often breaks after you install a shift kit, and usually on the 1-2 shift. The input sprag most often breaks during a nice burnout. The torque converter usually breaks slowly - your car will still move sometimes, but it gets worse gradually. And the drive chain hardly ever breaks, unless something else breaks first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the posts guys.

The Tranny is completely stock. Before it broke.. When i would just let off the brake .. It would chug along. Then just from a dead stop.. I pressed on the accelerator to pull away from a light and i hear a big clunk and nothing. Tried every gear.. Just revs in gear. It's at the tranny shop being diagnosed as we speak. I will be calling INTENSE for parts later this week.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mr. INTENSE said:
Assuming your tranny is all stock, I can think of four possibilities. Here they are in order of likelihood, along with the official betting odds for each:

1) input shaft - 2:1
2) input sprag - 5:1
3) torque converter - 6:1
4) drive chain - 12:1

The input shaft most often breaks after you install a shift kit, and usually on the 1-2 shift. The input sprag most often breaks during a nice burnout. The torque converter usually breaks slowly - your car will still move sometimes, but it gets worse gradually. And the drive chain hardly ever breaks, unless something else breaks first.
based on new information I take the 6:1 odds of a torque converter, input shaft and input sprag for a $20 trifecta :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr. INTENSE said:
Torque converter or something other than what I've listed above are my new guesses based on the new information. I thought it just died instantly.
Our torque converters are that bad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a VERY aggressive shift kit with what is known as a "bang plate" in a '79 Trans Am. I split the input shaft from one end to the other going from 1-2 gear. Total rebuild.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just got word from the shop that pulled my tranny that my TC-350 is what caused my tranny to stop functioning. Do these generally go out gradually or is it more sudden?

I have noticed over the summer that the car didn't seem to have much low end and I blamed it on the lower compression and new cam. I'm starting to think that the TC may have been going out all along? Is that possible?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts