3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car burned to the ground on May 31 at 11 pm. i haven't posted bc i haven't figured out what is going on.

The car was idleing out in front of my house bc the battery was dead b/c i left my sub on the week before. i jumped it with the gf's explorer and let it run out side locked. i was going to let it idle and charge up the battery. this has happened before.

While i was inside we noticed that the car stopped running. so we looked out side. first i saw a police cruiser on the other side of the street from my car and flames were dripping from my car.

my first priority was to move my motorcycle out from in front of my car. the flames were too high for a fire extinguisher. the cops already called for the fire department. by the time they arrived the car was engulfed with flames and they couldn't get to the hood release so they cut my hood off with a diamond saw.

they broke windows cut my trunk open and foamed the inside of my car. it was late so i had it towed the next day after i changed my rims and pulled out my gauges, my subs, and air filter and ic pump b/c all that stuff was easy to get off.

My insurance company has 3 investigators looking at the car and it seams like they are trying to screw me. The car has slp headers, cat back no cat, Gen V with IC, 1.9 rr, and electric water pump. I don't really care that much about the value of the mods most are ok except the water pump. but i have looked up whats going on with engine fires and the recall. Insurance company's are actually trying to charge some owners with arson.

I know about the Recall. but the car has never been to the dealer to get the work done. but it has had all of the parts changed that the dealer would do on multiple occasions(valve cover gaskets, bolt grommets). so i don't know if that is going to screw me. i just want what the cars worth so i can get a new car. (hopefully 8 ball from Todd :icon_twis)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Ouch man that sucks i don't know what i would do if my baby burst into flames. The same thing just happened nearby where my cousin lives in minnesota the car was off but the lady never replaced the valve cover gaskets and oil dripped onto the manifolds and started a big apartment fire. But if you have proof that the gaskets and what not were replaced you should be good. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
That bites. I did have a close call with my 91 Lumina. Had the problematic CS130 alternator and I was going on a trip from Ft. Sill OK to St. Louis and went through the toll bucket on I44 @ Miami, OK and the car started running rough and smoke came out from under the hood. I pulled over right away and popped the hood and the alternator was cherry red where the field winding is where it sticks through the two halves of the case.

I am so glad it didn't catch fire, but it would have. The rear bearing seized and the rotor contacted the field winding and the high speeds it just went nuts. I don't think I was able salvage a single part from it except the pulley.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Bummer man, which insurance company do you have?

Ed

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
westfield is my insurance company. i posted on the Edmond blog page that deals with 3800 engine fires. I got a response telling me that the common factor with all of the fires caused by the recall is that the flames are concentrated on the passenger side of the wheel well. which is where the flames were concentrated on my car.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
And that is where the alternator is close too..... Have the inspector ensure the rear bearing of the alternator isn't siezed and the rotor in the case. Taking the alternator apart the damage is unmistakeable. That is the only alternator I have seen do it.

westfield is my insurance company. i posted on the Edmond blog page that deals with 3800 engine fires. I got a response telling me that the common factor with all of the fires caused by the recall is that the flames are concentrated on the passenger side of the wheel well. which is where the flames were concentrated on my car.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That stinks. Glad you are ok! :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know the injector o rings are about 2 years old. but i have herd some people blame the conection between the fuel flex lineand fuel rails for leaks so who kknows the investigator's are suposed to be done by monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
L67 or L36?

There was a clip that kept rubbing on my plastic fuel lines on my L67 that I had to mod to keep it safe.

I haven't ever personally seen the o-rings cause a problem, but if they were removed and put back in, and there was a crack in one, yes, then they could. I have reused, but o-rings were always inspected and pliable before I did.

By all means, if you find out what caused it, let us know!

i know the injector o rings are about 2 years old. but i have herd some people blame the conection between the fuel flex lineand fuel rails for leaks so who kknows the investigator's are suposed to be done by monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Insurance gave me 3750 for the car. but they also allowed me to get parts off the car. So i got my headers catback, 1.9 rr and Gen v sc and IC core off of the car.

I bought 8 ball off Todd. so I'm now driving a 465hp boat of a car. Can't wait to start modding it. lol

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Sweet!

Update

Insurance gave me 3750 for the car. but they also allowed me to get parts off the car. So i got my headers catback, 1.9 rr and Gen v sc and IC core off of the car.

I bought 8 ball off Todd. so I'm now driving a 465hp boat of a car. Can't wait to start modding it. lol

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It needs further modded?!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts