3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the car, i was looking for something semi-sporty, yet powerful. I have to admit the GTP is pretty stout for stock, however I want to make it unique, I can't afford to rebuild an old muscle car or hot rod. So I guess the first thing I should ask, would be is it possible to convert a GTP into RWD and put a v-8 under the hood? If it is, what all parts would be needed to do the swap, if possible looking to install a 305 out of a 80s model camaro. Also if it is possible, what would be best idea for a trans? 6 sp stick, or 700r4? I am basically looking for all the help I can get, I want to do a swap, just have no idea where to start. All Help WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED!! Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
158 Posts
it would be cheaper to get a v8 rwd car to start with the fab work would be very extensive

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i realize that, which is partially why i wanna do it, i do not have to drive this every day so putting it away for a time being will be fine, and I also work at a shop, and have family that can help with any body work.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
When I bought the car, i was looking for something semi-sporty, yet powerful. I have to admit the GTP is pretty stout for stock, however I want to make it unique, I can't afford to rebuild an old muscle car or hot rod. So I guess the first thing I should ask, would be is it possible to convert a GTP into RWD and put a v-8 under the hood? If it is, what all parts would be needed to do the swap, if possible looking to install a 305 out of a 80s model camaro. Also if it is possible, what would be best idea for a trans? 6 sp stick, or 700r4? I am basically looking for all the help I can get, I want to do a swap, just have no idea where to start. All Help WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED!! Thank you for reading!
..................aw' man!!! Where does one start with this project???- Rear end, fixed suspension, custom cut drive shaft, tranny, lots of cutting, lots of sheet metal work and fabbing, lots of welding (mild/heavy steel)..............................I'm tired already...:icon_sad:.......

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
If you want a 2 Door GTP go buy a GTO

If you want a 4 Door GTP go buy a G8.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
cant u swap the ls4-4t65hd in as a direct fit? just wiring and other misc b.s?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
cant u swap the ls4-4t65hd in as a direct fit? just wiring and other misc b.s?
Easily done Marshall, except that converting it to rear wheel drive makes the complication. I like Dyno's idea best. Just too much work, at least for me!...........though I'd freak if I ever did see one. Wonder if they would call it a GTPO8?..........hmmm?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There's some video's of a guy on streetfire and or youtube of a guy with a '95ish body style monte carlo w/ a RWD swap. Look it up and see if you can get a hold of him

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Requirements for this work: 1. You are well-rounded bodyman/welder/certified mechanic all wrapped in one, to do and complete this job. 2. You have sufficient funds to proclamate the task for completion. 3. The equipment to do the job right!
Outside of this, your better off with Dyno's plan!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yea i hear u, but wouldnt the 06 impalas grand prix and impala with the v8's fit under our cars??? there already configured for fwd and should be damn close to a drop in as possible. not to mention IIRC ls4's are lighter than our 3.8's?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I have been pricing things another way, and I think I will probably be going with do plan B. Pulling the motor, and replacing with a 5.3L v8 out of an 06 impala, comes with everything needed to do the full swap and I dont think its a bad price, car it will be pulled from only has 24,xxx miles on it, and I will only have 2500 in it, after paying my uncle to go get it out of OH.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts