3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i go intense 1x cam where can i install it or can i do it with my step father (combined 50+ years experience)?

i would LOVE to do it myself, but a certain amount of confidence is afloat if someone like zzp or intense installs it.

who has cams and how did you get them installed.

any story is appreciated, including performance/problem results stories

thanks, steve

·
Registered
181 Posts
with the motor in the car is a bit more hassle. you get to pull the passenger tire, lower the cradle and take the front cover off. the upper bolts are gonna be a pita. shouldnt be "OMG ITS SO HARD" hard, but it aint a SBC walk in the park. you're going to HAVE to do springs if you put a cam in.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, id have springs, full roller rockers, and a whoe bunch of new gaskets ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a cam, did it entirely by myself, I have about 7 years of experience with cars, and that was the first cam install I ever did without it being a bare block. Did it while the engine was in the car as well. Dont be scurred.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here's on great write up done by a member of another club:

cam installation

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, i am leaning toward doing it myself because of that whole personal satisfaction thing, ya know...we'll see. i will keep y'all posted

·
Registered
106 Posts
grandpricks98 said:
thanks, i am leaning toward doing it myself because of that whole personal satisfaction thing, ya know...we'll see. i will keep y'all posted
Where do you live? I've done 7 cam installs in the past year and the last one I did was an S1X.

I'm in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
72 Posts
grandpricks98 said:

Im not being an ahole or anything but...Its not that hard. 50yrs. You can handle it. Just get the timming correct. Get a GM service manual.W-platform. GP volume 2...Well for me. 2000.

·
Registered
784 Posts
MP112ROB is right. It's not that difficult. The biggest problem is getting the crank bolt out. I can't remember what the torque lbs. are on the crank bolt but, it's up there. You will want to have air to do the job makes it a whole lot easier. Plus you will need air to change the valve springs. The only other area for concern is removing the crank pulley once you get the bolt out. I used the GM pulley tool thats recommended for the job. I understand other people have removed it with a standard pulley tool. I started on mine at 9 am on a saturday morning and a 6 that evening I was driving the car. Also, the S1x cam that intense sells is one hell of a nice grind for nice track times as well as very street drivable.

·
Registered
134 Posts
tan said:
MP112ROB is right. It's not that difficult. The biggest problem is getting the crank bolt out. I can't remember what the torque lbs. are on the crank bolt but, it's up there.
70 ft. lbs + 90*(degrees) Some different books call for 77ft. lbs so on and so on. Do 75ft. lbs. + the 90* and you'll be a-ok.

I have heard people just running them in with an impact till they dont spin any more...I would rather go by the book.

Also make sure your cam threads are clean, and your bolt is in good shape too. You want to use either clean oil or assembly lube on the cam bolt threads. Such as ARP moly lube. I have used both....and the story goes on and on and on. :rolleyes:

~Farnsworth~

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry, those torqu specks are for the CAM bolt. So all that above is correct for the CAM.

The CRANK bolt:
Tighten the crank bolt with a torque angle meter to 111ft. lbs. (150Nm) plus an additional 76* (degrees)

:D
The 111 ft. lbs. is easy to get, the additional 76* IS THE BITCH. HINT: have a cheeter bar and a buddy or two help you.

Buddy 1 : Holds the fly wheel to keep the crank from moving
Buddy 2 : Keeps an eye on your degrees to tell you when you are there.
You with all your might: put some serious effort on that wrench to get the torque. My older brother is a diesel mechnic and I used some of his BIG tools. :D Helps to have the hook ups.

~Farnsworth~

·
Registered
238 Posts
grandpricks98 said:
if i go intense 1x cam where can i install it or can i do it with my step father (combined 50+ years experience)?

i would LOVE to do it myself, but a certain amount of confidence is afloat if someone like zzp or intense installs it.

who has cams and how did you get them installed.

any story is appreciated, including performance/problem results stories

thanks, steve
I got my cam installed by GP PIMP and LittleJON, i feel confident in doing a few things to my car on my own but a cam install is not one of them. I you do plan to do it yourself i would plan to spend a whole weekend just in case, because you dont know what could happen, my cam was suppose to be done on a friday after i took it to GP PIMP house thursday night, i ending up not having my car done untill the saturday of the following week. It was no fault of GP PIMP or LIttlejon but thats where the unexpected BS comes in. Point is if you have no experience working on cars i would say a cam install shouldnt be your first project, to do by yourself, but if your working with someone who knows what there doing and has plenty of experience i would say go for it

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dude, you guys are great. i'm in illinois, west suburbs. i think i might do it. now all i have to do is raise the money for the cam and kit, then... oh, and my step dad has about 46 yrs. exp. and i have only 4 1/2, mainly tune ups, and preventitive maintenance, and some exhaust exp.....but, nonetheless i will so it with the old man...spend some time with him before he goes, ya know? peace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts