3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a source for offset cam keys for 3800 series 2. I need a 3 or 4 degree offset cam key to dial my camshaft in, and cant find anyone that sells them.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
984 Posts
IIRC rollmaster had a timing set with a 2 piece cam gear that you could adjust infinitely.

·
Registered
713 Posts
IIRC rollmaster had a timing set with a 2 piece cam gear that you could adjust infinitely.
Yes the Vernier cam gear they called it. But from memory it did have a small problem in that the cam position magnet hole was made oversize, the magnet would come loose. No a huge problem to get over if you handy.
Now whether you can still get it is another question, as rumour has it JP bought Rollmaster out. Bob Bracken (?) the head guru at Rollmaster was the tech guy for all that info, but may no longer have anything to do with it (don't know really).
Why not just use the Rollmaster adjustable double row timing chain set. 2 degrees on the crank will give you 1 degree on the cam, & they were adjustable to 8 degrees on the crank sprocket either way (advanced or retard).

Or you could just go with the stock L67 single row cam sprocket which is 5 degrees advanced over the straight up position of the n/a cam sprocket & the Rollmaster sets.

Cheers

Deek

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that was as I expected... get an after market chain. I talked with JEG's today and they couldn't get me a key so figued this as last resort. Maybe someone had an obscure source or something.

I will get a new timing chain ordered.

Let me ask another question while i am here. I am actually 3.5 dgree off. I am at a 108.5 intake cntr. Cam card says should be 112. Would I be better to reamain advanced or go retarded after correction? The cam is a Comp NIC cam. I am going with meth injection as well.

I figure I will have to go either 4 retarded to 112.5 i.c.l. or remain at 2 advanced 110.5 i.c.l. since the new chain can only go in 2 degree increments. I am not familiar on these blower motors, which way works better on these motors. Anyone ever had opportunity to have experimented with this cam or just with advancing and retarding the cam in general in these motors.

Thanks for all the advice and or insight, Im learing alot I didn't really know.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Reading that last post, I'm curious as to how you are checking the cam timing. Did you find exact TDC before doing the checking and are you going off the valve opening and closing degrees as specified by comp cams? If I remember how Comp Cams checks go, they check valve opening @ .010" lift. And this needs to be done with lifters pumped up or on the outer body of the lifter itself (a lifter non pumped up will compress and give you an erratic reading at pushrod end of lifter).

Jake L.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I used the intake centerline method. I found TDC, installed and set my degree wheel. I then found max lift on intake and zeroed the dial indicator. I then found 0.050 before max lift, and recorded degree. I then found 0.050 after max lift and recored degree. I added them and divided by two. I got an intake centerline of 108.5. I am 3.5 degree off of the 112 recommended by comp cams. I did this procedure twice to make sure I got the same results. I used the lifter outer shell to do the measurements.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

I found a key that will work for the 3800 series. I am using a 4 degree key from a mopar. The key is a bit tall, but easily can be shaved down. The width feels perfect and sets right into the slot. It just saved me from having to buy another new timing set. So far I am only into this build for about 1000.00, and I have replaced everything. I am taking pictures of this build as a I go, eventually I will post up some pics, and a short write up of my experiences. There is still alot left to do before its ready go back in the car.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Ive got a post in the cam/valvetrain section about the bolt required for a cam install, perhaps you might have something to add to my list or any suggestions. I'm trying to get a complete list together for all the beginners doing a cam install.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Update:

I found a key that will work for the 3800 series. I am using a 4 degree key from a mopar. The key is a bit tall, but easily can be shaved down. The width feels perfect and sets right into the slot. It just saved me from having to buy another new timing set. So far I am only into this build for about 1000.00, and I have replaced everything. I am taking pictures of this build as a I go, eventually I will post up some pics, and a short write up of my experiences. There is still alot left to do before its ready go back in the car.
Do you have a pic of the offset key ?
My concern with offset keys is the possible weakness to early shear, as they end up being about half as thick / wide as a stock key.

To your earlier question: I would have set it on the retard side of your perfect setting if you obviously intend it for racing.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I possibly might have something to contribute. I am actually doing a complete rebuild, and I have run into a few odds and ends as I go.

By the way the mopar key worked perfectly. I had to do alot of filing to get shortend up till it would fit. The final degreeing showed I was at a 112.25 degrees and that is close enough to 112 for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts