1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cam install = success
Rod bearing = failure ???

Thats my prognosis anyways

Plugs are all perfect, no smashed or knicked ones.
But there's a nice tick/knock/squeal now.
This all happened after about 30 miles of driving, so your guess is as good as mine.
Scans showed nothing out of the ordinary and still dont.
Was running much richer than before, but still needed a lil more.
Misfires jump from cylinder to cylinder
compression is at 180-187.

need ideas if anyine can help. thank you

·
Registered
919 Posts
No, we put the stock rockers back in.

·
Registered
919 Posts
2 oil changes and 2 new filters
3rd batch of oil is in there now
I've done 9 cam installs so far and this is the only one that had a major problem like this :confused:

·
Registered
919 Posts
We just found some metal chips in the oil :(
Taking the front cover off again now....

·
Registered
919 Posts
Cover is off and the dots still line up perfectly
Next to remove the cam gear and check the thrust plate

·
Registered
919 Posts
OK, cam gear is off and thrust plate and keyway are still good.
Stumped here.....

Time to start into the topend of the motor and check heads, but I doubt we'll find anything there :mad:

·
Registered
32 Posts
John F said:
OK, cam gear is off and thrust plate and keyway are still good.
Stumped here.....

Time to start into the topend of the motor and check heads, but I doubt we'll find anything there :mad:
Been there, sorry if you found metal. Sounds like the bearings took a dump on you. Sorry about the problem, I spent a year now trying to get back from a bad bearing issue.

·
Registered
919 Posts
OK we're idiots....
Nuff said :(

8 out of 9 isn't a bad record :D

NO MORE COMMENTS :p

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Just because a mistake was made doesn't make you or anyone else idiots. We're all human, and we all make mistakes. Just being able to admit one was made puts you head and shoulders above the average guy. And doing what's required to make it right is the ultimate resolution.

Please let us know how we can help.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks for the kind words and encouragment Scott, it helps :)
When I pulled off the lower intake and saw that the lifter tray/keeper wasn't there I almost cried :eek:

What happened is that they were put in the garbage can for later cleaning.
Lots of other garbage in the mean time was tossed on top of them and they were buried.
(out of sight, out of mind) :( :eek:

ah well, Frankie's being a good guy about it and with either a few of his freinds help or Ed Morads, we'll be up and runnig again soon.
Block is all ready to be hoisted out of the car as I type this, just need to get ahold of a hoist.

EDIT: We'll be placing an order for a new cam and lifters and other miscellaneous stuff in a day or two.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what parts do you need...
i have a bunch laying around from a short block I've torn apart..i i have it to spare, its yours for cost of shipping

randy

·
Registered
409 Posts
thats terrible.. least you are in good hands with john on your side... could be worse... could be sitting at my house (where it would never get fixed)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think that cam was cursed :p
At least we killed it good this time, wont be going in anyones elses car.
I'll post up some pics of the cam and lifters in a few days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
John F said:
I think that cam was cursed :p
At least we killed it good this time, wont be going in anyones elses car.
I'll post up some pics of the cam and lifters in a few days.
I was thinking the same thing last night but didnt want to say anything! We should plate it and put it up on the wall of shame with my piston and Mikes spark plugs. Poor out a lil liquor for my fallen lifters (or liftas if your from mass... :) ) Pictures should be interesting.....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, motor is apart, block is out, and i believe i have a candidate for a new motor block. Thanks to everyone who helped so far along the ride of terror..... Ed Morad for the parts offers and opinion, Big Jeff and Scott for the help and Input along the motor pull, John F and his monster garage ;) , Harps500, JFDugal, and a few other local boys. I really appriciate it. Should be a nice set-up when it's all done.......AGAIN :rolleyes:

got a few good pics, and the motor pull really wasn't that bad at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts